Chapter 66 : Funeral

When Will told his mother about Jane's situation, she didn't hesitate one second to give her her support. She was driving her, and Max, at her sister's funeral. No one was talking, Jane looking outside, waiting for this awful day to end. Joyce had been surprised by Jane's clothes. She was wearing a Pink Floyd tee-shirt, black jeans, black boots, a red sport jacket, it wasn't really usual at a funeral. Even Max was wearing something more...appropriate, well, she was just all black, but it was sober.

Jane was stressing a lot. She called only two persons, Constance's best friend and girlfriend. But she knew that some people of her family heard the news because someone insisted to have a religious ceremony at the church, everything that Jane was hating.

They arrived in front of a church with many cars. Max was surprised because she knew the blonde girl sitting on the stairs. It was Robin, a girl who was working with Steve at Scoops Ahoy before. Why was she here? Next to her was a black woman with long braids, wearing a black suit.

When they got out of the car, Jane went to them while Joyce and Max stayed a bit behind.

- "Hey Jane," the black woman doftly greeted, taking her in her arms. "How are you?"

- "Not good, and you?"

- "Same."

She broke the hug and greeted Robin with a smile. The blonde girl had red puffy eyes and a sad smile to Jane.

- "It's not your idea, this ceremony, right?" the black woman asked.

- "Definitely not!" Jane answered.

- "Um...Do you introduce us to them?"

- "Oh yeah, sorry, um...this is Joyce, a friend's mother, and Max, my girlfriend, and this is Monique, Constance's best friend and Robin, Constance's girlfriend."

The four women shook each other's hands to salute.

- "I already know you, right?" Robin frowned.

- "Um, yeah, we know Steve," Max answered.

- "Yeah, that's right."

Jane took a deep breath before entering the church, followed by the four women. Once inside, all the eyes were pointed at her. She began to walk between the rows, under the pedantic looks of the people around, until an old lady stopped her.

- "You shouldn't be here," the old woman told.

- "She is...was my sister, I have all the right to be here!" Jane angrily answered.

- "You never show any respect in God, and today again you provoke everyone by wearing those...clothes."

- "I'm gonna stay, whether you like it or not! But, I don't understand why you're all here!? We had no news of all of you during years, I don't even know all of them! This is so hypocritical!"

- "She was family."

- "No, she was MY family, you, you never existed for us! When I needed a family, you all refused to raise me, her, she abandoned her life in Paris to come back here and take care of me!"

The old woman and Jane stared a moment. The old lady was clenching her jaw, she didn't seem to really like Jane a lot, she gave a quick look to the people behind her before watching Jane again.

- "Who are those people!?"

- "Family, and friends."

The old woman didn't insist. She grumbled something inaudible and walked away. But an old man this time approached Jane.

- "Still not normal!?" he asked.

- "Still not dead!?" Jane snapped.

He just walked away.

- "Who were they?" Joyce aked.

- "My grand-parents, I saw them only twice."

- "Real assholes," Monique added.

- "Yeah, I'm glad they didn't want me in their life, I would have been frustrated."

Joyce placed a comforting hand on Jane's shoulder and squeezed it. They kept walking, ignoring the others trying to talk to Jane, and sat on the bench at the first row.

- "You're not ashamed to sit next to...this!?" a man angrily asked.

- "Not at all, I'm proud of her," Joyce said.

- "Proud? Proud!? (laughs loudly) How can you be proud of the shame of the family!? She is useless, a piece of shit!"

- "You're drunk Uncle Jack, go away," Jane calmly intervened, a bit tired by all of this.

His wife grabbed him and brought him further before he could answer to Jane. The ceremony began, for Jane's biggest pleasure. During the religious prayers, everyone stood except Jane. Max thought it was because she was lost in her mind, but when she shook a bit her, Jane made a movement to tell her to leave her alone. Max didn't insist, Jane had never been into religion, and being here whereas it was against her volonty wasn't making it better.

When they left the church, a man with white hair and wearing a suit was waiting a bit far of the crowd. Jane recognised him, she told Joyce, Max, Monique, and Robin to wait for her before approaching him.

- "The day is not shitty enough!? You have to be here too!?" Jane angrily replied.

- "Look, I wanted to apologize to you, I know I haven't been a good father for you—"

- "You're not my father! You're not even my step-father! You're just the man who married my mom!"

- "Okay! Okay, I'm sorry...Do you think you could forgive me? I mean, we had good moments together, right?" the man weakly smiled.

- "Oh yeah! When you grabbed my wrist so strongly that it broke, it was so fun! And when you abandoned me on a motorway service area, I laughed so hard! And when you shaved my head just to humiliate me, what amazing moments I had after that!" Jane angrily and ironically stated.

- "I'm sorry..."

- "I don't give a fuck! Just disappear! That's all I want!"

Jane walked away without letting him answering and joined the others.

- "Is everything okay?" Max asked.

- "Yeah, let's just finish this hell day!"

When Constance had been burried, it wasn't over for Jane. A lawyer was going to read her will with just the family. Joyce, Max, Robin, and Monique had to wait outside. They tried to listen what was going inside, but they heard nothing until a big exclamation from the inside and many people yelling. The door opened and a crowd of angry persons left the room.

- "What happened?" Monique frowned.

- "I have everything, and she gives them the right to go fuck themselves", Jane explained with a small proud smirk.

- "I recognise her in this."

- "She had a Bank account where she was saving lots of money on it for my futur, that's why they were all here."

The four women stayed dazed. How a family could hate one person at this point but still be interested of her money!? That was a shame!

The day was over. Joyce drove back Jane and Max to the brunette's apartment. Jane spent the night talking about her sister and showing Max some pictures.

- "Oh, I hate this picture," Jane told with a sad tone.

- "Why? You look cute,"  Max said.

- "It was my birthday, I've invited some friends for the day. We prepared everything with Constance, I was so excited! But...no one came, and I cried the entire day..."

- "Oh no...I'm so sorry..."

- "Yeah...But, to cheer me up, Constance took me to the movie theater and we watched like three movies, it was really cool."

After those memories, the two girls went to sleep, finishing this hell day.