Chapter 17 : Skatepark

The week was arriving at its end, and the group of friends met at the skatepark. All of them were here, Max and Beverly skating and Lucas and Dustin doing some BMX tricks, while Will and Mike were sitting on a rail next to them with their bags at their feet.

Jane arrived a bit later with her green BMX, wearing a helmet, customed like a pilot helmet, and protections at her knees and elbows.

- "Hey Jane," Mike smiled. "Nice gear."

- "Thanks, I don't wanna die," Jane answered.

- "We see," Will told.

Jane gave a quick look to the bowl where the two boys and the two girls were doing some tricks. They were all wearing helmets except Max. Jane stood and took off her helmet before approaching the bowl.

- "Max!" Jane called.

The redhead stopped her trick and rolled to Jane.

- "What's up?" Max greeted.

- "You should wear a helmet."

- "You stopped me just for telling me this?"

- "If you fall on your head you can be paralyzed if not dead!"

- "God Jane, you're not my mom!" Max growled.

- "Yeah, me, I actually care about you," Jane firmly stated.

Max sighed loudly and rolled her eyes. She stared a moment at Jane who was insisting with her eyes. The redhead knew she wouldn't let her before she wore a helmet, but she was happy to see Jane worrying for her.

- "You are annoying, do you know that?" Max said.

- "Just wear a fucking helmet!" Jane replied.

- "Fine!"

The redhead went to her stuff and grabbed her helmet. She put it in her head, watching Jane. The other girl shook her head and closed the straps under Max's chin. While she was doing it, the redhead noticed the bracelet she gave her and couldn't hold a small smile.

- "I can skate now, mom?" Max smirked.

- "I'm not doing it to annoy you, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I prefer being annoying than seeing you struggling with your wheelchair," Jane softly explained. "You would be unbearable."

- "Fuck you!" the redhead chuckled.

Max pushed gently Jane before going back to the bowl, followed by Jane. After some tricks failed, Jane stopped and joined the two boys on the rail.

- "I'm so bad at BMX," Jane stated with a smile.

- "You are still better at BMX than basketball," Will joked.

- "I hope I am!" the girl chuckled.

- "I'm impressed you managed to convince Max to wear a helmet, we tried so many times but you, in one second you did it," Mike told.

- "Security is important, you can be safe and have fun."

- "I totally agree with you," Will added.

While they were watching their friends in the bowl, Will noticed that Jane was watching more the two girls than the boys, especially Max. He couldn't stop looking at her looking at Max.

After a moment, Beverly had a hard fall on the floor, dizzing the girl. They all ran to her, her body facing the ground. Jane crouched next to her and pressed her right index finger in her cheek.

- "Are you alive?" the girl asked.

- "Yes," the redhead chuckled. "I think I'm done for today."