Chapter 65 : Bad news

Three weeks passed. Neil believed Max when she told him she broke up with Jane. He still yelled at her for doing it in the first place, but he didn't slap her this time. The two girls managed to see each other quickly when they could, majority of the time at school, but they would have preferred going on a date like before.

Jane left an entire week for her tests. She had three, one in Seattle, one in New-York, and one in Miami. It was physical and psychological tests, and the week after, they were supposed to receive a letter to tell them their results.

But Jane didn't come back after her tests. Max was beginning to worry, she had no news of her since she left. And apparently the party began to worry too, they kept asking her where Jane was. She tried to call her, but no one answered, not even her sister. Maybe they decided to extend their trip at Miami, but missing three days of school, it was a lot. Mike proposed them to pass at her apartment after class, they obviously all agreed.

Once in front of the door, Max knocked insistently on the door, hoping some movements from the inside. But nothing.

- "It's weird," Dustin told.

- "Maybe they had a problem to come back," Will pouted.

- "She would have called," Max said.

- "You're sure ?" Mike frowned.

- "She would have called !" the redhead affirmed with irritation in her voice.

None of them tried to contradict her. She was more than worried, she began to wonder if she wasn't dead! One of the neighbours left his apartment. The teens asked him if he saw Jane, but the man hadn't seen or heard them for days now. It didn't reassure Max, she was believing more that Jane was dead. They sat on the stairs, waiting for a sign.

After two hours, the sign appeared. They heard footsteps coming from under, and saw Jane. They all stood, relieved to see her. But the girl didn't seem happy to see them. She completely ignored them, opened her door ,and slammed it behind her, letting her friends outside.

- "At least she is not dead," Lucas stated.

- "She is sad, have you seen her eyes? They were red, like if she cried," Beverly told.

- "Jane! What wrong!?" Max loudly said from behind the door.

- "Did she close it?" Dustin asked, moving his hand in direction of the knob.

- "(taps his hand) We don't enter in people's home with no authorization!" Bev firmly told.

- "Sorry..."

They stayed a moment in front of her door. They heard her living her life, walking in her apartment, taking a shower, going to the toilets until the door opened, but without Jane behind it, like if a ghost opened it. The party hesitated, but slowly entered. By the noises they were hearing, Jane was in her room, but they decided to not bother her for now and to wait in the kitchen-living room. After a moment, Jane slowly appeared in her corridor, taking support on the wall at her right.

- "Is everything okay?" Lucas asked with a concerned tone.

Jane bit her bottom lip on her left and lightly shook her head to say no, avoiding their eyes.

- "What's wrong? Your tests didn't end well?" Mike said.

- "Your arm still hurt?" Lucas asked.

- "They didn't let you try?" told Will told.

- "My sister is dead," Jane quickly answered with a shaking voice.

Six jaws dropped. The silence after this confession felt like to weigh tons. How was it possible!? She was so young! What happened to her!? And when did it happen!? They all looked at each other, not really knowing what to say or do, it was so unexpected! Dustin opened his arms to take her in his arms, but she gently refused.