Chapter 16 : Soda

It was the last week before the Winter vacation. Jane was at the library, sitting at a table with Troy next to her. The two teens were working on their English project for the end of the school year. Even if they had the time to prepare, both wanted to take their time to do it correctly. They needed good marks to be accepted in their futur colleges, and they were not the best students of the school, not the worst neither, but in the average.

A bit farther, Abigail was watching them interacting and even chuckling sometimes. She didn't know why he was finding this Jane so interesting, but she was determined to be sure it would stop. She approached them, her soda in her hand, and sat in front of them. The two teens were so absorbed by their work that they didn't notice her. It was making her angrier.

Jane was the first one to see her. She looked at her without saying anything, not knowing what to tell her. They were not friends, and Abigail was a cheerleader, the kind of girls Jane liked to watch but not to talk to. She nudged the boy next to her who watched her before moving his head in direction of the other girl.

- "Hey, what's up?" Troy murmured.

- "What are you doing?" the blonde girl asked, looking at their books with a raised eyebrow.

- "Our English project."

- "Ooh, you have a project together, really cute," the girl said with an irritated tone.

- "It's just a work," Jane intervened.

- "Yeah, just a work," Abigail told with an exaggerated smile for Jane.

Jane and Troy looked at each other with the same lost eyes. The young boy stood to search for an other book under the desperate look of Jane meaning « don't leave me alone with her » and the big smile of Abigail.

Jane tried to focus on her work, but she was feeling the look of her colleague on her and was feeling embarrassed and oppressed.

- "I know what you are doing," Abigail stated, taping the table with her nails.

- "And what am I doing?" Jane asked without looking up.

Abigail stood, placed her hands on the table, facing Jane, and looked at her from above, wanting to impress her.

Jane slowly moved her head to watch her, not knowing what was going to happen next.

- "You are just a random girl, you think you are different from the other girls, but you are not. When he has what he wants with you, he will get rid of you," Abigail said, slowly.

- "What are you talking about?" Jane frowned.

Abigail approached her face closer to Jane who was trying to not fade.

- "Troy is mine, you have no chance with him, he will fuck you and then you won't see him again, is that clear? He loves me, he just doesn't know it yet."

- "Um...okay," Jane answered, hoping she would stop.

- "Don't act like you don't care, it's what they all say."

- "If he was loving you, you don't think he would at least care about you?" the brunette provoked.

Abigail felt outraged and attacked. Without thinking, she grabbed her soda and threw it on the girl on the other side of the table.

Jane, covered of the dark liquid, stood angrily of surprise and watched the extent of damage. The books, the notebooks, and her tee-shirt - she was caring a lot- were all ruined because of her jealousy. She didn't say anything, she didn't want everyone to look at her, it would make it worse.

Troy arrived and saw the two girls stood, killing each other with their eyes. He went to Jane and tried to dry her with a tissue.

- "What happened?" Troy asked, seeing the soda on their work.

Abigail killed more Jane with her eyes. She didn't want the other girl to speak.

- "She dropped her drink," Jane answered, gritting her teeth.

- "Fuck, Abi! You could be careful! You ruined our work and Jane's clothes," Troy grumbled.

- "I'm sorry," the blonde girl mumbled, feeling a bit ashamed.

Jane and Troy tried to save the few papers that survived. Jane was pissed because the tee-shirt she was wearing was a present from someone who was very important for her and now she could just throw it! But she could understand Abigail's jealousy, Jane was spending a lot of time with Troy and it was interpreted in the wrong way by everyone. If only she knew Troy had no chance with her, nothing of this would happen.

Jane took her stuff and let the two teens in the library, running to her home to change her clothes before going to work at the store.