Chapter 57 : A mom's hug

Max was in direction of the store. Jane had been very distant the day before, and she wanted to talk to her privately, to know how she was. When she arrived, she was at the counter, staring into space.

- "Hey Jane," Max said.

Jane started. She was so deep in her thoughts that she hadn't heard her entering.

- "Oh, um...hi," Jane answered.

- "How are you?"

- "I'm fine, I'm fine."

- "No, you're not. Dustin told me for yesterday."

- "Oh..."

- "Yeah, oh. Do you see someone?" Max asked.

- "I saw a psychologist this morning," Jane sighed.

- "And? How was it?"

- "Hard. I'm kinda used to it, I want to be fine rapidly."

- "You don't have to, I understand that you want to be okay, but sometimes, some wounds need more time to heal."

- "I know, I know...I'm tired..."

- "I see," Max pouted.

The redhead looked closely at her girlfriend. She had dark circle and really tired eyes, she didn't know how she was still standing on her feet!

- "Why didn't you tell me ?" Max continued.

- "Told you what ?" Jane asked with a small voice.

- "About your panic attack."

- "I...I don't know...I, I didn't want you to think that I have a problem, that I'm a burden..."

- "Oh, Jane," the redhead sighed. "When are you gonna understand that I'm with you no matter what, you shouldn't worry of what I think of you, I will never think something like that! I'm not dating you to abandon you when you need me the most! You can trust me."

Jane nodded.

- "I'm sorry..."

- "Hey," sMax said, grabbing her hand. "I'm not here to yell at you and to reproach you something, okay? I just wanted to know how you were."

Jane looked down. Max could tell that there was something wrong, she was avoiding eyes' contact and she was always touching her neck, like when she had the cut on her chest. A noise made start Jane who quickly removed her hand from Max's. A customer just entered the store. Joyce welcomed her and noticed the two girls a bit embarrassed.

- "Jane," Joyce told, walking to them. "You should check the back shop, Max, you can help her if you want."

The two young girls frowned at her, not understanding.

- "Let's go girls!" Joyce insisted.

They both started and went to the back shop. It was a small closet with lots of carton boxes inside.

- "Why are we here?" Jane asked.

- "I think she wanted to give us some...privacy," Max answered.

- "Oh."

- "What's wrong with your neck?"

- "What!?" Jane told with wide opened eyes and putting her hand on it.

- "You always touch it, I presumed there is something wrong and...last time we kissed, you weren't really into it."

- "I, I...it's irritated..."

- "Your neck?" Max frowned.

- "My throat...I, I still feel it...I...don't know what to do to not feel it again..."