Chapter 25 : Tension

When Jane entered the school, it was like if everybody knew what happened on Saturday. She was feeling the looks on her and hearing the murmurs. But she didn't know how everyone could know, her coach told her she wouldn't tell anyone to not have a bad reputation. She was just paranoïd. She shook her head and walked to her locker. She was going to her first class when she saw Troy to his locker, and decided to salute him.

- "Hey Troy," the girl greeted.

The young boy didn't answer. He kept taking his books with an angry face.

- "Troy? You good? What's wrong?"

This time, he slammed his locker and turned to her with killing eyes. Jane began to worry of what was going to happen.

- "You are a dyke!?" the boy angrily murmured, getting closer to her.

- "What?...(looks around) How...how..."

- "How do I know!? My step-mother saw you kissing another girl! I understand better why you're friend with the Queer now!"

- "The coach is your step-mother," Jane stated in a shocked sigh.

- "Yes, she told me to stay far from you because of your damn disease!"

- "Disease..."

- "Yeah, stay away from me!"

- "Wait! (grabbs his arm) Don't tell anyone, please," Jane begged.

- "Who do you think I am!? I won't tell anyone that I was trying to seduce a dyke!"

He brutally freed himself and left Jane dazed in the hall. She wanted to cry and scream at the same time but did nothing. She went to History class like if nothing happened. She really hoped Troy would stay quiet about this story, but she was fearing English class now, he was her only friend for this period. She went in the class, her headphone on her ears, without looking at the other students, going directly to her seat at the back of the class, next to the window.

Max watched her walking while her friends were calling her, but she ignored them. She was so mad at herself now, she ruined everything with Jane and embarrassed her because of her stupid hormones. She didn't know how she was going to repair this, but she had to do it fast, everyone was going to suspect something between the two girls.

- "What's wrong with her?" Mike frowned, looking at Jane watching outside and nibbling her thumb.

- "She seems stressed," Beverly stated. "She is shaking."

- "She had a personal thing this weekend which was stressing her a lot, it's probably this," Max intervened, hoping it was the only thing.

The others nodded without asking more. The class began, and it was as usual : boring. The bell ringing woke up the entire class who needed a minute to know where they were. Jane left the class as fast as possible, not wanting to talk to the others, especially Max. Now she had English, and she didn't know if Troy would let her sitting next to him. She approached him slowly, but the boy was ignoring her.

- "You want me to sit somewhere else?" Jane shyly asked.

- "I don't care," Troy mumbled with a shrug.

Jane hesitated but sat next to him, keeping a safe distance with him. The rest of the class spent in a cold and uncomfortable silence between the two teens and Jane knew it was just the beginning.

Max spent the day looking for Jane, but the girl was avoiding them. She didn't eat at the cafeteria and, when she had class with them, she was walking away before everyone. But now, she had sport with her, and she couldn't run away from her again. She asked Will to go without her while she was talking to Jane. She grabbed the other girl's arm to get her attention and noticed she wasn't wearing the leather bracelet she bought her.

- "Can you stop running!?" the redhead angrily told. "I tried to talk to you all day!"

- "Oh yeah!? You wanna talk now!? You had no rights to do this! You hear me!? You can't kiss someone without asking! What's the next step, you're going to rape me!?"

- "What the hell, no!"

- "We are not in a stupid movie! There is no path with rose petals or a stupid music at every kiss or whatever! You didn't care of what I could feel!" Jane stated with wrath.

- "That's not true ! I just thought—"

- "You just thought what!? That everyone wants to be kissed by you!? That's what you thought!?"

- "No. Nevermind, it was a mistake, you're such a cunt, I can't believe I wanted to kiss you!" Max got worked up.

The two stared angrily at each other before going to the changing room. They changed at the extrem opposite and went on the field without looking at each other. Max was standing next to Will with her arms crossed.

- "Is everything okay with Jane?" the young boy asked with a concerned tone.

- "No, she is a dick."

Will didn't insist. He wasn't understanding how two friends could hate each other the next week with no related reason.

All the teens were all distributed in their teams, Will with Max and Jane in the other team. It was Max's turn at the bat, and Jane was the thrower. The redhead wasn't surprised to receive fast and crooked balls she couldn't hit. Max couldn't believe her, so it was how Jane would be now? She couldn't accept that and approached her with her bat on her shoulder.

- "So now you're gonna be a bully!?" Max provoked.

Jane dropped the ball on the floor and quickly walked to Max, her face close to hers.

- "You have no idea what a bully can do," Jane told gritting her teeth and in a low voice.

Max had a weird shiver. Did she just threaten her? No, it didn't sound like that. She seemed more...scared. Jane was scared, not mad, and Max felt stupid for not understanding it before.

- "By the way, do you know who is Troy's step-mother?" Jane rhetorically asked before going back to her base.

Troy knew. Max thought Jane was reacting like that because she wasn't gay and was maybe a bit against this but no. She was feeling more guilty now, she had no idea that Jane was actually lesbian and probably had problems with this before.