Something's Not Right

Start from the beginning

        I readjusted myself into a sitting position in front of the fractured mirror. I pulled the spell book out from my vest and studied it, first examining the brown, leather cover. A small grin widened on my lips as read over Grandpa's name again within the front cover. His handwriting was something close to calligraphy unlike my dull print.         

        Reading his first name felt unearthly. "Stephen." Anyone could easily mistake that for the female pronunciation of the name. Or, anyone could ridicule and mock the name simply for its spelling. People can be cruel, juvenile creatures. That's one of the reasons I prefer to keep my nose in a book.

        Then, flipping through the pages, I browsed through the spell book, not really paying mind to any of the words or the pictures. It wasn't until my eye snagged on the word "energy" that I stopped to actually read the book. Luckily, I had stumbled upon a spell that would replenish my energy in a snap. There was, however, a disclaimer- written by Grandpa, I'm sure -that said, "If preformed incorrectly, a miniature explosion will occur and your eyebrows will be singed off."

        Good to know.

        "Insomnia is a bore and makes sleeping seem a lore. Open your eyes, let sleep shy away. Awake and aware for days. C-8-H-10-N-4-O-2" was the spell. It was simple, pretty straight forward, and in English. Below the actual spell, there were instructions on what I needed to do in order to properly cast  it. Placing the book on the ground, I stood up and dusted myself off. I looked into the mirror and sighed nervously. I put my hands out in front of me and began reciting the spell. At the mid-way point of the spell, my palms glowed green and two purple rings encased my wrists. At the end of the spell, I clapped my hands close to my face, causing a pulse of energy to throw back into the dirt. I nearly screamed in surprise, but I managed to keep it to a low grunt.

        I rose from the dirt, peering back at the gang who had yet to move. Looking back at the mirror, I thankfully discovered that my eyebrows were still present and that I no longer looked like a raccoon. I did feel refreshed, so I think it worked.

        For about an hour afterwards, I studied the spells in the book, learning several attacks and a couple defense moves. I didn't practice any of them in fear of waking everyone up and potentially blowing myself up or catching what was left of the Mystery Shack on fire. Eventually, I grew tired of reading the same spells over and over again. So, I placed the book back in my vest and laid down to observe the stars. Or, at least, that's what I thought I was going to do; the sky was still pitch black from  Bill and Gideon's battle. Even with the sky being darker than normal, light still seemed to come from somewhere, brightening the environment. It wasn't much; it still looked like it was the middle of the night.

        "I wonder if the rest of the world can see this dumb sky..." I whispered to myself as I concentrated on what was above. One of the many things we didn't know about this situation was if Gravity Falls was the only victim of this all. The way it seemed now, Bill wasn't doing anything. Perhaps he's causing havoc in another town to practice the perfect way to rid us from him. Who knows.

        A small wave of dirt suddenly hit me in the face. I sat up, coughing and wiping the dirt from my eyes. As I rubbed the annoyance from my eyes, I looked around to see who had thrown the dirt. Once again, there was nothing there. There was no way that was a bug. "Is someone there? Mrs. Gleeful?" I don't see why she'd do that, but she's a sorceress; she could be invisible if she wanted to- I don't know. "Hello?"

       A voice faintly echoed in my ears: "Dipper!" I whipped my head to the left and right. That sounded like Eliza, but she's with Grandpa in another dimension.

        I took a deep breath and stood up, pulling the spell book from my vest. I flipped through it until I found the energy spell I had used. After reading the instructions and warnings again, I became baffled in more ways than one: the spell wasn't said to produce hallucinations or delusions.

        Shoving the book back into the inner pocket, I came up with a conclusion I wasn't completely okay with. Maybe I was hearing things, but not through any mental illness. Truly, I believe I was just recalling Eliza's voice because I miss her...with feelings. All that teasing must have built something up, something stronger than that pitiful excuse for a crush I had before. I don't even want to call it that- that's not what it was. Yes, I'll admit it, Eliza's pretty. Yes, she's a bright person. The thing is, she's also my friend and I don't want to lose that. Television and books have pointed out on multiple occasions on how a friendship morphed into a relationship can turn sour. That's just not something I want.

        "Dipwad?" There it was again. "Dipper!" And it wasn't going away. "Dipwad!"

        I investigated my surroundings again: still no one in sight. So I was hearing things and dirt just magically threw itself on me? "Dirt just magically threw itself on me." Listen to me: I sound like a fool. It was probably just a strong gust of wind; not everything is some kind of freaky paranormal product.

        "Dipper...?"

        It was going to be a long night.

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!

Hey! We all saw the new GF? Yeah? Fantastic, right? Right.

That is all. ~SF >'-'<