Chapter 42 - Car Accident

(POV Helena)

CAR ACCIDENT. Nagbago ang lahat nang malaman ko na namatay si Harland dahil sa isang car accident. It was Alexey and Ivanoff who broke the bad news to me on the phone. Depression filled my whole being when I realized that the love of my life is already gone.

For weeks, I became detached with reality. Lahat na ata ng masasakit at mapapait na bagay sa mundo ay naisip ko na. I was filled with negativity to the point of I want to kill myself.

I was a complete mess because of his death. I took varierties drugs to erase the sadness, but only my mind became dumb. My heart is still aching because he left me and I don't know where I will start. I became an addict for months and I struggle on how to live my life. Aunt Zara tried to helped me and I ended up in rehab.

After a year, nakalabas ako ng mga maayos sa rehabilitation center, but I know that something inside me was changed. I was drug free, but I know that there is something wrong with me. I was able to finish my studies but I felt like my soul is already broken.

Fear vanished in me. For unexplainable reasons, I don't feel sad or happy anymore. I feel dumb and incomplete as if nothing can excite me anymore.

For almost a year, I felt like an empty case. A body without a soul walking among humans. In this desperate times, doon ko nakilala si Holden. All of the hopes of being alive again surged within me. Parang nagkaroon ako ng instant desire na harapin ang bukas dahil sa kanya.

Nawala noon sa akin si Harland dahil sa pagiging unselfish ko at sa pagpapalaya ko. At ngayon na natagpuan ko na si Holden, hindi na ko papayag na mawala siya sa buhay ko.

I hired several private investigators to investigate on him. Walang secret life si Holden Hidalgo. What you see is what you get. A rich architect who is workaholic, with flings from time to time. No stable relationship, no girlfriends. Lahat sa kanya ay pampalipas oras lang. Mga babae na magfu-fullfill ng kanyang sexual needs.

I asked Aunt Zara to work under Holden's supervision as it will be in preparation for my management position sa company. Noong una, hindi siya pumayag. She already suspected that I am no longer the same Helena after I came out of rehab, pero pinilit ko pa din siya. A request transformed into a demand. A demand turned into a threat. A threat turned into something deadly.

I asked Aleksey and Ivan's help to imprison my Aunt Zara sa ancestral house. For days, I took care of her, but she lost her connection to the outside world. Ako ang naghahandle ng business sa on her behalf, pero walang kahit sino na pwedeng kumausap sa kanya ng personal. I told her that she will remain a prisoner hanggang hindi siya pumapayag sa kagustuhan ko.

I don't care if I am out of reason, my sole goal is to be with Holden.

Eventually, Aunt Zara gave in to my request. Siguro dahil nangingibabaw pa din ang pagmamahal niya sa akin bilang isang ina. Though she attempted to abort me as an unborn child, she already paid for her sins. Aunt Zara loved me and I could not ask for more. She compensated for her wrong decision during her teen years.

But I guess love cannot heal everything. I am already damaged inside, mentally unstable because of her attempt to kill me.