Chapter 1 - Workaholic

(POV Holden)

WORKAHOLIC. My colleagues often call me workaholic. Mas gusto ko daw magpakasal sa trabaho ko kaysa sa ibang babae. They just did not know that I was trying so hard to erase a painful part of my history and my work is my only distraction.

My story started on one rainy evening when I was about to go home from work. Hindi ko dala ang sasakyan ko at ang mas masaklap, wala akong dalang payong. I tried to use a ride-hailing app and I prayed that I will not be stuck in a freaking traffic. Naghihintay ako sa tapat ako ng opisina nang biglang may lumapit sa aking isang babae.

She is wearing a fashion designer shades paired with a sexy long coat and an expensive boots. It is like this girl appeared from a fashion magazine. After discreetly observing all of her qualities, hindi ko siya masyado tinapunan ng tingin.

For a few minutes, I waited for my ride while disregarding this girl beside. Her sexy perfume with a combination of light passion fruit and vanilla is attacking my senses.

"Palagi ba talagang umuulan sa Pilipinas?" she asked out of nowhere.

Hindi siya nakatingin sa akin, kaya hindi ko alam kung ako ang tinatanong niya o ang sarili niya. Her cute voice with a hint of English accent is a definite give-away na balikbayan ang babaeng ito.

"Suplado ba talaga ang mga pinoy or ikaw lang, Architect Holden Hidalgo?" she asked again and I froze by the mere mention of my name.

This time, I looked at her and I with a frown. This girl knows my full name. She is not here for a ride.

Is she stalking me? Did she intentionally approach me? Is she one of the girls I have slept with during my not-so-sober nights?

"I am sorry. Do I know you?" I asked with displeasure.

"You don't know me, but I know you," sagot niya sabay nguso sa baba dibdib ko.

Nandoon nakasabit ang company ID ko kung saan nakalagay ang buong pangalan ko. I want to punch myself for even feeling that a girl like her is trailing me. Mukhang fetish ko ata ang pagkakaroon ng isang sexy stalker.

I did not answer her, but I just flashed my irresistible smile. Women will usually gasp or gape at me when I smiled at them, but this girl seems to be unaffected.

I was about to ask her a question when a black Lexus LC 500 flagship car appeared in front of us. Sigurado ako na hindi ito ang sundo ko. Lumabas ang driver ng sasakyan at binuksan ang passenger seat. The girl beside me unhurriedly went inside the luxury coupe and her every stride spells confidence and sophistication.

Nakahinga lang ako ng maluwag nang marinig ko na lumapat ang pintuan ng sasakyan. Rich-looking girls do not usually spike my interest. I prefer the naive and simple types, those girls who look vulnerable as if they are asking to be conquered. But this girl seems to attract every fiber of my being, as if I am physically and emotionally drawn to her.

My heart almost stopped when the car window suddenly rolled down. She slowly removed her sunglasses which finally revealed her angelic face. She is sweetly smiling at me, but I know that her smile does not reach her eyes.

"Laters, Holdie," she excitedly said as she blew me a flying kiss.

I was petrified for a few seconds and her car is already gone when I came to my senses.

Holdie? Did she just use a pet name for me?

I am easily annoyed with this kind of feeling-close gestures, but I can't help feeling amused. Siguro dahil isip bata ang babaeng nakita ko kanina. I don't think she is one of the executives dahil masyado pa siyang bata. She is in her mid-twenties, marahil anak ng isa sa mga boss sa company.

Dumating ang sasakyan ko at naka-uwi na ko sa bahay ko, pero ang babaeng iyon pa rin ang laman ng isip ko. Despite her jolly facade, I can feel that she is masking a deep sadness.

But again, how will I know? I just met her once. I don't even know her fucking name!