Chapter Nineteen: Black

I have a fucked-up life and an even more fucked up family. Who in their right mind lets someone convince them to kill their wife? Without even a good enough damn reason. All because of who her mother is? That shit just doesn't and will never make sense to me. The streets are always talking so it was nothing for me to figure out exactly what was Hakiem's motives. Juno had a hit out for my father for what he did and hired Hakiem to take him out. My father could believe that "I will always love you" sob story if he wanted to but I saw straight through that. Don't no thug change, at least not that much. That nigga couldn't look me in my face and I don't see a snake. Something told me to come to Zion's house a little early than I had planned and I'm glad I did. Even more glad that I had a spare key to get in. I opened the door just in time to see my father have a gun pointed at Zion. I didn't hesitate to kill Hakiem because I knew he had to be behind it. And even if he didn't, I killed him anyway to get him out of the way. He was always going to be a problem in my book.

My house wasn't big enough for Zion and Junior but we made due. The amount of money I had saved up from me hustling was getting lower, but I know I had to use whatever I had to get us a bigger place. Zion always did right by me, even when she didn't have to. It was only right I make sure she was straight. Especially because she had my little brother. I'm going to make it my business that he doesn't grow up to be anything like my father. Hell, he doesn't need to be anything like me either. Clearly, this street shit runs in the family and it's about time it came to an end.

I pulled up to the address that was sent to me earlier. I finally got the courage to contact Malachi and to my surprise he answered. He told me how much the boys missed me but never really mentioned if he missed me. I didn't want to push it and bring it up either. He agreed to let me see them in an open area and I can't say I blame him. We've both been through enough, last thing we need is someone rolling up on us and making shit worse than what it already is.

I checked my hair in the mirror and popped a piece of gum in my mouth. I got out and put the alarm on my car and began searching for them. It wasn't long before I spotted them playing around at the basketball court. I walked over to them nervously, not sure exactly how they will react to me.

"Can I get in a game?"

"Mom!" they both screamed at the same time.

They ran over to me and I hugged them both tightly. Tears began to form in my eyes but I didn't want them to mistake them for sad tears and ruin the moment. I kissed them all over their faces and smiled. Malachi kept them up in good health and I had a hint of pride inside. I married a good man and I know if we never get back together, that the woman he decides to be with will be lucky as hell.

"Come on fellas, let her breathe."

They backed away from me but couldn't stop smiling.

"Hello, Jade"

"Hey, Malachi."

"Mom, are you coming back home now?" Larry said, pulling his curly hair out of his face.

"Yeah, can you come home now?" Lashawn said, agreeing with his brother.

"Boys, why don't you let daddy and I talk for a minute then we can go get some ice cream. How does that sound?"

Their smile got even bigger and Larry snatched the ball out of Malachi's hand and him and Lashawn went off to play a game.

"Shall we?"

I led Malachi over to some benches so we can have some privacy. I don't know where to begin to even explain everything I went through. I guess the beginning would be helpful.

"Jade, I can't begin to explain how sorry I am."

"Sorry? I'm the one that should be apologizing. I should've never got involved."