Chapter Four: Dice

I can't believe Jade won't help me with this. Especially after all I've done for her. I could have left her ass to rot in that prison, but I thought I was doing what I was supposed to do as her father. I called in every favor I possibly could to get her out even had Russ go in and do some of her time. She wouldn't even have this big ass happy family if it wasn't for me. Jade owes me and she should know this. All I asked is that she push a little weight for a while so I can get Zion back.

I honestly haven't even thought of a plan of how Imma save her. My mind hasn't gotten that far in this bull shit. In all honesty, it feels good to be back in the game. It's what I'm used to. I don't know how I feel letting a little nigga think he bossing me around but I'll let him breathe. Back in the day Russ and I was running shit the best way you can possibly run it.

The thought of Russel made me pull out my phone and call him up. I didn't even think to tell him what happened.

"You turning into one of them niggas that only call when they want somethin or what?"

I smiled for the first time in two days.

"Na Russ, you know that ain't in me."

"I don't know what the hell you're capable of anymore."

"And what is that supposed to mean?"

"Look Dice, I'm in the middle of trying to learn how to cook linguini. What can I help you with?"

"Listen Russ, I got into some shit."

"What else is new? I've been hearing that from you for years now."

"The other night when you dropped me off, Zion was kidnapped."

It was quiet for a long time and I looked at the phone to make sure he didn't hang up on me. I heard a door close through the phone and what sounded like a lock.

"Nigga what?" Russel said, disbelief and shock in his voice.

"I walked in the house and the whole place was empty. Zion usually is in here waiting on me. But she wasn't"

"You sound pretty fuckin calm about it."

"Calm? I'm pissed the hell off but the little nigga said that he'll kill her if I do something crazy."

"So, what does he want?"

"He wants me to work for him and help him build his empire."

"And you're doing it?"

"What choice do I have?"

"Kill him."

"Then someone will kill Zion."

"Well get her then kill him."

"Don't you think I would have if I knew where she was? He probably has her hidden somewhere. If only Jade would-"

"You got Jade involved?"

"He asked for her."

"She's been through enough already, Dice."

"And I haven't?"

"Listen Dice, I gotta go. Let me know if you get Zion."

And with that being said, he hung up on me. It just seems like no one is understanding my reason for doing what I'm doing. This is my wife that is involved in this. I will do any and everything to get her back. Even if I have to do everything myself.

I finished armoring myself and walked out the door. Juno sent me a message about some territory he wanted me to snatch. When I told him Jade wasn't with me, he insisted I still go. I moved by myself before I can do it again.

I pulled up across the street from the corner Juno wants me to take. It was a bunch of young thugs that I know will easily scurry at the sound of my name. I don't care how much the game has changes, my name should still shake some shit in these streets. I reached under my seat and pulled out my nine and tucked it in my jeans. I got out the car and strolled over to the young crew. They noticed me and instantly stopped talking and goofing around. I chucked my chin up and attempted to act as if I was interested in buying.

"Aye man," I said while scratching my neck " what y'all got?"

"What you mean what we got? What you want?"

I looked all of them individually in the eye then pulled the gun out from behind me.

"I want this muh fuckin' corner, that's what I want."

They started to come towards me but I shot a quick one in the air.

"Do you know who you fuckin' with?" one of them said.

"I'm Dice, lil nigga, it doesn't matter who I'm fuckin' with. Y'all about to run up off this corner though."

Just when I thought I had them, I felt something being hit across my head. The sound of glass shattering let me know it was a bottle. My vision became a little blury, making me stumble and fall to the ground. Them lil niggas showed no mercy. Every kick to my ribs and stomach felt like a million knives being jabbed in me. Every hit to my face felt like razors being slit across my skin. Only thing I could think about to keep me conscious was Zion. All of this was for Zion.

                                  *****************************************

Don't ask me how, but I managed to find my way home. They beat me so bad each step was more painful than the actual hit. My right eye was swollen shut and I continued to cough up blood. I remembered what Jade said to me that day she asked me to find her a bodyguard. She told me these new niggas was different. I never paid her any mind but maybe I should have. I thought my name broke shit down in these streets. I know I been gone a long time but I still thought it would hold weight. I used to put fear in a nigga soul. My name was supposed to change my whole situation. It's like I have to start from the bottom with my street cred.

I laid on the kitchen floor and drunk a bottle of Jack Daniels like it was water. The only way I know to numb the pain, physically and mentally, is to drink it away. I will just have to deal with this shit tomorrow. The chances of me getting Zion back are looking more slim with each passing moment. I don't want to give up hope but clearly this isn't meant for me anymore. Or maybe I'm just going about it the wrong way. Either way I'm fucked.

I sometimes wish I could go back to a simple time. When it was just me, Zion, and Jade. We all had everything set up perfectly. But there's no such thing as perfect with me. I never should have met Zion. She wouldn't be in this shit now if I hadn't. She's my world and I can never have seen a life without her, but every time I turn around she's making life changes for the sake of me. I'm supposed to be taking care of her and protecting her. I can't even protect my damn self. I wonder sometimes what it would have been like if I was some average joe ass nigga. If I would've never stepped into the game and worked a nine to five like the rest of these dudes out here. Shit would've been different. Shit would've been way different.