Chapter 36 - With Death Comes Life

A/N: Just a heads up, we're getting close to moving past the current episodes of Black Clover so in the next 3-4 chapters, manga will be the main source material so there may be spoilers. Just a heads up. The next chapter will be around episode 98.

"Well everything seems fine. Your mana is remaining fairly steady despite the drain. Though I would prefer if you calm down more. I'm sure everyone is fine." Owen tells me as he puts his grimoire away. Being cleared from his examination spell, I continue my pacing around the room. I look down at my forearms where 20 uniquely colored bands adorn my skin. Each one corresponds to one of the Royal Knights. It's an indication of a successful tethering and will disappear if someone is killed. Each of the Royal Knights each have a black band of their own on their upper right forearm as part of the spell. Most people didn't mind the discomfort that occurred during casting but a select few, mainly Kirsch, had a problem with the visible mark. I swear I could have killed that man for the amount of complaining he did about me "ruining his perfect skin". I purposely chose not to tell him that it would disappear once the spell was broken.

I sigh, continuing to walk the parameter of the large empty room. The curtains were drawn back to let in ample amount of light illuminate the space from the setting sun. But despite the amount of light I felt trapped in this castle. I had to work though out the entire night to finalize the preparations, only to have to cast the spell at dawn's first light. That's how early Leona wanted to leave. Once the spell was cast and the squad left I was forced to stay cooped up in this room to assure my safety. I wouldn't have minded so much if I had the opportunity to at least check in with Fuegoleon before hand. But sadly there just wasn't enough time to do so.

"You think so Owen? None of them have used their lifeline so they have to be all right, right? I just can't shake the feeling something bad is going to happen." I ask for reassurance. I run the tips of my fingers up and down my right forearm, red, yellow, silver, black, pink, these are just some of the ring's colors. It drives me crazy not being able to join them. To be stuck giving what little support I can instead of being the blade that severs the head of the Midnight Sun, thus getting revenge for their attack.

"Completely fine. Look, how about I get us some tea and we can play a game of chess to take your mind off everything. Or maybe you could finally sleep." Owen says getting up from his chair. Without even hearing my reply he heads out the door to the castle kitchen to get what I can only assume is non-caffeinated tea. Finally I pause at one of the windows over looking the castle courtyard. I'm high up enough that I can even see over the castle walls to the many roofs of the noble households. It's only been about 9 hours since they left, and Julius was supposed to come give me updates every two hours, but I haven't heard from him or Marx the last 4 hours. Probably because Julius was being.... well Julius. Meaning Marx of course would have to chase him down.

Quietly I start to hum to myself rubbing my stomach as I think of all the people living in the city right below me. Each and every person with their own hopes and dreams, unique in their own way. The attack on the capital was almost a means to an end to many of those dreams had I not gone against Helia's Will and used my powers to save everyone. But was it the right choice if it meant Fuegoleon may never be able to wake up and our children may never get to know the dedicated, passionate man their father was? I could only hope that I was wrong and he would wake up, preferably before the twins arrived, but at this rate it seemed highly unlikely.

Suddenly the room starts to shake as dust falls from the ceiling. The dread I've been feeling all day starts to surface. But the room's vibrations isn't what makes me worry it's what I see outside against the sky's orange sunset. Flashes of light sporadically collide, sending sparks and debris through out the open air. I can see long blades of light being thrown every which way but they seem to stop in midair before disappearing. A battle. A battle is what's occurring outside this castle and from the looks of it it's between Julius and someone who wears the same clothing as Captain Vangeance but isn't William. From what I can see in the brief collisions between the two mages the assailant has long whitish blond hair pulled up into a pony tail and is using light magic. Could this be the leader of the Midnight Sun we were warned about, Licht? But why is he here when the Royal Knights are attacking the base? Unless.... Unless William and Licht are the same?