Chapter 7 - Mana Flux

"Thalia! Thalia!" I scream as I look back through the portal. I turn to go back to get my sister but Alec is holding me back.

"Ember! She's dead! We have to go or else they're going to get us too! Come on Mereolona's waiting!" He screams at me over the raging winds. I refuse to budge, instead wanting to face my sister's murders. Alec rejects the idea to let me face my death and instead throws me over his shoulder and continues after Mereolona.

"NO! THALIA! WE HAVE TO GET HER I CAN SAVE HER!" I scream banging my fists on Alec's back, but it's no use. The portal's energy is whipping around us so much it blurs our entry point and I can no longer see my sister's body as it lays motionless on the ground, covered in blood. Her blood. Those bastards! She's just a kid! Please I can save her. Helia please, save her! I'll do anything! I plead to my god as we make our way through the portal. Anything? Anything! I give myself to you Helia please just let her live! As you wish but remember this comes at a cost. I hear Helia reply as her energy courses through me. It's dark, cold energy, raw and untamed. It's something that I haven't felt in years and it's overwhelming. Feelings of grief, anger and loneliness consume me and eat at the edge of my consciousness. My mind starts to disconnect from my reality as I feel the hard ground beneath my hands and feet. I must have thrashed around so much Alec dropped me.

"Ember? EMBER!" I can barely hear him over the chaotic mix of energy and mana. It's tearing into our skin and ripping our flesh down to the bone.

"Alec! Look at her skin, her veins are turning black!"

"Mereolona! This is bad, it's Helia, she's destabilizing the portal! We got to stop her!"

"Alright! Calidus Brachium!"

A sharp pain fills my side and my eyes snap open. I'm on the floor of my new quarters at the Crimson Lion's base. I'm gasping for breath and my heart is trying to escape from my chest. I stare at the celling as I try to calm myself down. I'm covered in sweat and I've somehow ripped the neckline of my sleepwear clawing at the seal in my sleep. Feeling my collarbone for any scratches, I'm relieved to feel that my key necklace is still secure around my neck. It was the last thing I had of Thalia's.

Alec, you should have left me. It should be you here, not me. I think as my racing heart calms down. Sitting up I notice it's still late at night but re-living my first night in Clover prevents me from going back to bed. Deciding to give up on sleep for the night I decide to change into my daytime attire and roam the halls barefooted. This will be fun. It's like being a ghost. I think as I let my legs take me where ever my heart desires while my mind proceeds to make a variety of ghost noises for fun.

It's pretty quiet except for the occasional snore from a bedroom. I go through the kitchens where some of the rolls from dinner are left out on the counter tops. Grabbing one to munch on I press onwards, curious to see what other rooms this base holds. Passing through the great hall I see that each chair is neatly tucked under the table waiting for the breakfast crowd to arrive. I also notice a piano in the far corner of the hall. I must not have seen it when everyone was here. It's dusty, like no one here has played it in a while. My mind is starting to drift to a time when I would regularly play for Alec and Thalia. However life's been so busy I haven't gotten a chance to release my feelings upon the keys. I really shouldn't. It's late at night and I could wake someone up. I think but the emotions from my dream are still raw and I don't think working out will be enough to convey what I'm feeling. Grabbing the edge of my sleeve I wipe off the seat and keys then I proceed to place my butt in the middle of the bench. Taking a deep breath in I lay my fingers across the keys in line with one of Thalia's favorite songs. The more I play the more unclouded my mind becomes and it's just me, the music and my memories.