Chapter 22 - Steamy Hot Spring Relaxation -Lemon

It took nearly all night for Fuegoleon's fever to finally fully break. But I stayed close to him the entire time, using my own magic to dissipate the heat he was given off. It proved a lot more difficult than I imagined as I had never before worked on maintaining a constant magic stream over the course of several hours. Plus it didn't help that I was running on no sleep and my stress levels were running high. My eyelids were so heavy that it was hard to keep them open, but every time I had the urge to close them for just a rest I would force myself to sing something, anything I could think of, even if it didn't make sense. I just needed something to keep myself awake otherwise I was afraid that he may not have enough time left before the full effects of my potion kicked in.

I was rewarded for my efforts when the sun's first light broke through the storm and shone through the window. Fuegoleon's fever fell enough that I felt comfortable that the potion was finally reducing his illness to nothing. The steady rise and fall of his chest also gave me confidence that he had made it through the worst of it and it would only be a matter of time until he woke up. With a sigh of relief I stop my cooling therapy. My own magic is fully drained and with no physical strength to get up and make a mana regeneration potion from scratch I do the next best thing to replenish my lost reserves. Closing my eyes, I let the sound of Fuegoleon's steady heartbeat and the rise and fall of his chest to lull me into the first sleep I've had in days.

I'm awoken a few hours later from the sounds of laughter outside. It's something I haven't heard in weeks partly due to the fact that it's been raining non-stop since we got here and partly due to nearly the entire town being bed ridden. Untangling myself from my captain's side I get out of bed and throw on my shirt before walking over to the window. I peer down at the streets below. There are children playing in the puddles. I instantly recognize them as some of the patients I treated at the church. A smile graces my lips as I'm filled with happiness and pride at the fact that my potions and magic were able to cure Helia's disease. After watching the children play for a couple of minutes I decide to check on my patient. He's doing much better and I suspect he'll awaken some time in the next half a day.

Relieved at the quick upturn of Fuegoleon's condition I conclude that now would be the best time possible to wash up. I can't do much else for the Crimson Lion now that he's been given the cure. My next bout of work will come when he awakens. So in the mean time I hop in the shower and wash away the worries of the last few days down the drain. When I get out I dress myself in my white shirt and maroon shorts while leaving my hair down to dry. At this point I'm opting for comfort over the constraints of my usual daily attire.

Coming out of the humid bathroom I see Fuegoleon right where I left him on the bed. He hasn't moved an inch. I silently walk across the hardwood floor and make my way to his bedside before sitting down on the edge. I tuck a strand of his hair behind his ear. He looks so different when he's sleeping. He's so much more relaxed and vulnerable then when he's awake. Now that he's truly safe I can't help but remember his last words fore he fell. it's because I love her.

"Did you really mean that Fuegoleon?" I whisper while stroking the crown of his head. But I get no response from him indicating he heard me. After another minute or two I decide to make myself useful and gather the supplies to clean off the sweaty residue his fever has left him with. I'm sure he'd rather have a proper bath but I don't think he'll be quite recovered enough for one when he wakes up. Turning to the bathroom I carry the large basin I was using earlier and fill it with warm water. I grab a clean washcloth and towels and place everything neatly on a tray to carry it back to the bed as my thoughts drift. I wonder if this is going to be like sleeping beauty where the prince has to kiss the sleeping princess in order for her to wake up. But hold up a minute.... Fuegoleon's the one that's sleeping so does that mean he's the princess and I'm the prince?! My mind runs over this conundrum as I carefully make my way to his sleeping figure with the tray. But I am startled beyond belief when he bolts straight up in bed, reaching outwards with right hand and hoarsely yelling my name. I'm so startled in fact by him that I drop everything that I'm holding. The basin shatters upon impact with the floor and the water splashes all over my expose feet and legs.