Chapter 29 - Conferment Ceremony

"Is this really all you have?"

"Just take the damn thing or I'll shove it down your throat."

"But the taste is so bad. Please Ember, isn't there a spell you could use. You're the senior medic here." I wallop Gareth over the head, causing the rest of the senior members to take a step back from me. Flu and cold season was finally upon us, and someone decided to be so gracious as to infect nearly three quarters of the stationed squad members with the influenza virus. It quickly took a hold of the Crimson Lion's base, spreading like wildfire, unpredictable and nearly uncontrollable. The problem I was having with formulating a proper potion for this particular strain was that it kept mutating, so anything I formulate isn't nearly as effective as I had hoped. The best I can do is lessen the symptoms while the virus runs its course.

"You know damn well I don't have any medical spells. Besides there isn't any single one spell to get rid of the flu. Take your meds, drink your fluids and wait for it to run its course. And for fucks sake, cover your mouth when you cough Ruben!" I yell at fire mage who stands in the back of the crowd of men currently lined up to see me. My bedside manner would have been better if I wasn't currently one of the ones infected. I was lucky though as my symptoms were much milder than the rest of the babies sitting in front of me. They all came down with fever, chills, a cough, runny noses, fatigue and headache. Some individuals who had contracted one of the many mutated versions of the virus had additional symptoms such as vomiting, dizziness, and nausea. I was one of the latter ones, with my symptoms taking the form of vomiting, dizziness, nausea and fatigue. I was actually quite surprised I didn't have any fever or post nasal drip. "Now stop being big babies and take you're meds. I don't care if you have to pinch your nose when you do it, just do it. You act like you've never been sick before guys." I scold them as they all hang their heads low, sniffling and coughing.

"When did Ember get this mean? She was so nice when I broke my leg." I hear someone whisper in the crowd.

"That's because you dipshits got me sick too! Now we're all going to suffer together unless you just take the damn potions already and go to bed!" I yell at them. Quickly they decide to take the potions and go back to their rooms to rest, rather than bicker with me about a more palatable course of treatment. I plop down at my desk covering my face with my hands. I'm utterly exhausted and my nausea has prevented me from keeping much down the last week and a half. At least most of the knights got better within 5 days or so, but my symptoms still kept me company. I've chalked it up to the lack of sleep and increased stress of taking care of 50+ sick men. The sound of the group's footsteps slowly dissipates as all of the men return back to their rooms for some shuteye. I can still hear their complaints and coughs though, resonating through the corridors. Groaning I lay my head down on my desk and close my eyes. I hate being sick more than anything in the world. Slowly I start to drift off to sleep, until I feel a strong magic presence next to me. I don't even have to open my eyes to know who it is. "You're not supposed to be here unless you're sick. Don't tell me you caught it too, cause I think I'm just going to die if I have to take care of another person's sniffles." I unhappily grumble.

"No, I haven't." I open one eye as I hear the clink of dinnerware and the smell of vegetable soup wafts over. "I've brought dinner from the kitchens. You've been cooped up in here for a few days now. I had to make sure you're still alive." Fuegoleon says pulling a chair next to my desk before sitting down in it.

"Thank you, but you shouldn't be here. It's practically a petri dish of germs." I take the warm bowl out of his hands, putting it down in front of me. Aromatic steam rises off the broth and hits my nose. My stomach both growls in hunger and lurches in protest at the thought of food. Slowly I blow on a spoonful of soup before consuming the basic food. For a minute I sit there, trying to decide if my stomach is going to accept the nutrients or reject it all together, but it appears I'm safe for now.