Chapter 10 - A Warm Slumber

It's been several days but I finally got all my potions and ointments ready to be shipped off to several of the churches. I find they typically do a better job than me distributing everything because they know the public's current need. Usually I like to deliver everything myself, but being required to stay within a certain radius of the captain means I have to use the postal service to deliver everything.

"Please be careful with it. I won't be able to make any more for a while." I tell the postal carrier as he hauls away all my hard work. I watch him leave the base's gates before letting out a loud yawn. Man. I don't think I've slept more than a collective of 5 hours over the last three days. Too bad once you start making those potions there's really no good place to take a break. Looking up at the sun I realize lunch must be just about over. Usually I would be getting ready for my lesson, however a majority of the squad has left on missions or is stationed on patrol. This doesn't mean I get a free pass at an afternoon nap though. Fuegoleon has called for a meeting with me this afternoon. Over what it is, I don't know. I've been locked up in the infirmary making potions that I haven't paid much attention to anything else the last few days. Deciding to head for Fuegoleon's office, I pass by the empty dinning hall. Damn it, I missed lunch I guess I'll just have refuel at dinner. My stomach growls in protest. "Shush, no one asked for your opinion." I tell my stomach, but I'm still hungry.

Tired and hungry I finally arrive at the ornate double doors that close off Fuegoleon's office from the rest of the base. Before I can even knock on the door I can hear his voice telling me to enter. I push the doors open and gently close them behind me before taking a seat in front of his desk. He's reviewing a small stack of papers on his desk as I plop down. This whole scene reminds me of the first day I was here as a knight. Eventually he sighs and looks up at me. I try not to let out another long yawn.

"Ember, you're finally here." He sounds tired. Upon closer inspection I can tell he hasn't slept recently either. I don't think it's due to the mana link, but rather due to the demands of running the squad. "We've got a mission."

"We?" I ask him.

"Yes, the Magic King has requested that I personally investigate the increased number of attacks at the Diamond border. Reports state they've been using magic tools that we've acquired in the past. I believe someone in Clover is selling out our kingdom. From the list of items, it's believed to be a noble. Unfortunately that means you will be coming with me into a known battle zone. I've tried looking into ways to extend the mana link so you wouldn't have to come but at the moment there's no viable options." He takes a sip from his drink before continuing. "We'll be leaving tonight in order to get there as soon as possible. It's about a two day travel for us." He hands me a large envelope. I take out the contents to be met with a map and several paragraphs of text relating to the case.

"Alright...." I say slowly briefly looking at the papers before returning them to the envelope. I look back up at him. "How are we getting there if it's taking two days?"

"None of the spacial mages have been to the location, so we'll be traveling in a similar fashion to how we got to the castle the other day." Great more flying, this time for two days. Using the back of my hand, I cover my mouth as I failed to stifle another yawn. I expect to get reprimanded but he just keeps staring at my face. I can tell he's trying to analyze something, but I'm too tired to try to figure out what. I look at the envelope in my hands. The map sticks out in my mind. Our destination is near the high mana region where I entered Clover with Mereolona and where Alec's grave is.

"I guess I better get ready for it then." He leans back in his chair, nodding in agreement.

"We'll be leaving at 6 from the front gates." I give a small sigh as indication that I heard him as I gather my stuff and leave the office. As soon as I close his office doors I release the longest yawn that I've been holding back the entire time.