Chapter 31 - The Aftermath Diagnosis

How? How did she get there so fast? And this power I feel? Is it from her? It's so dark and intense. Is that why she looks so different? These were only a fraction of the questions racing through Noelle's head as she drinks in the sight before her. Ember stood over Asta's and Leo's unconscious forms after deflecting what looked to be like the final blow for the two boys. But Ember stood there, unscratched, but looking very different from a few moments before. The woman's veins had turned dark black, a stark contrast against her very pale skin. Her eyes too had changed. They now were all black, full of cold fury. Her long hair whips around her as the winds picks up, carrying her Crimson Lion's cape with it. But the most startling thing of all was the six foot long scythe she held. It too was black but when a sliver of sunlight shone upon it, multiple rainbows reflected off its cold reflective surface. Although it was clearly bigger than her, she held it firmly in her right hand as if it was merely an extension of herself.

                  "Noelle." The Silva jumped out of her skin. How did she get right behind her? She was just in front of her a minute ago. "Watch these two for me, will you?" Ember asks, her voice calm and cold. She was nothing like the chipper mage from earlier today.

                  "What are you-" the two boys are gently placed next to Noelle and Fuegoleon, alive but unconscious. I didn't see her move! How did she get them here right next to me?! It's physically impossible for someone to move that fast! Her attribute is fire, she shouldn't be able to use spatial magic!

                  "Ooooohhhh! Is that the phantom drive master was telling us about? I want to take her back and dissect her! Valtos we have to get her!" One of the hooded figures squeals. Ember seems to have heard her, because she steps forward, putting herself between Noelle and the attackers.

                  "Tch. If you know so much about me, you know that facing me is a suicide mission. For facing me is facing death herself!" Ember yells, readying her scythe. Everyone takes a guarding stance.

                  "We know all about you Ember Avest! We know about your control over the world between this life and the afterlife, the phantom drive isn't it? Your movements seem like that of teleportation but in reality you're traveling through the spirit realm, which means all physical and magic based attacks can't reach you. We also know of your ability to tether or tear a soul from their body, but your power comes at a trade off doesn't it? I wonder what that exchange will be this time?" The one they call Valtos says.

                  "Your information is quite extensive. But even if you know all of this won't prepare you for the pain you'll experience when I destroy your very existence!" And with that the battle began. True to her word Ember attacked with every fiber in her being. Disappearing and reappearing in an instant, swinging her scythe. Every enemy calls upon the highest spell within their grimoire but it's no good, Ember just plows right through them, tearing into their flesh like it was nothing. The fluidity of her movements is astonishing. Is this really the same woman that belly flopped onto Fuegoleon's lion earlier today?

                  "Tch, we got what we came for! Let's retreat!" Valtos yells, but his attempt in organizing a retreat fails. Ember appears right behind him, blade against his throat.

                  "Without a spatial mage there can be no retreat right? I guess I'll take care of you first." She whispers into Valtos's ear. The enemy group lobs several attacks at her, but they seem to phase right through her even through she's standing right there.

                  "Gel Magic: Sticky Salamander!" The giant gel salamander phases right through Ember, but her phase shift gives the salamander just enough time to pull Valtos away from Ember and into safety. In the chaos of the salamander's attack another individual has been picked up.