Chapter 6 - Prove Your Place

"... And to top it off I'll take on anyone else who wants to join you. Anything goes except disfiguration and death." I look at the captain and Leo to make sure my conditions would be met. There's no objections but I can tell they're seriously reassessing my sanity.

"DEAL!" he says arrogantly. The training area starts to clear as non-challengers. A total of 17 mages stand in the ring, ready to pounce on me. Ember, why did you have to open your big mouth. 17! There's 17 battle trained mages and you're fresh out of Owen's care. My concern lies not in the fact that I may get even more injured, but rather that an intense match may cause the fresh seal to falter and cause permanent damage to people. I was supposed to help heal not injure, but at this point it's too late to go back. I look at the spectators that have lined up to watch. Among the crowd I spot Fuegoleon standing with his arms crossed against his chest, ready to step in if need be. Leo to his right eager to see how the match goes. I know from personal experience he wants to partake in the fight, (or any fight for that matter) but the fact that it's to prove my worth keeps him on the sidelines.

I approach the center of the ring and turn my body sidewise to take a neutral footing. One fist is kept up by my face for upper defense, while the other is kept near my waist for blocking lower attacks. "Come at me with everything you got, otherwise it will be all the more embarrassing when beat you." I said getting my weight on the balls of my feet. They chuckle at the absurd thought.

"Alright! I expect a clean fight! No maiming, disfigurement or death! You are all magic knights and I expect all of you to bring honor to the Crimson Lion's squad! Now show me your resolve!" As soon as the final word "resolve" passed Fuegoleon's lips magic came flying in from all directions.

Crap, I got to get in close to do anything! I think as move my body ever so slightly to let the attacks pass me and hit the walls behind me. Soon enough the group starts to spread from the original pack, no doubt to try and form a circle around me. Wasting no time I lunge forward, making sure to keep low to the ground to avoid more attacks. Going for the guy that initiated it all I prepare myself for what was next. An electric user, the leader charges his hand and pulls back, expecting to punch me and effectively electrocute me. How cute, your wind up is too big I think as I spear hand his shoulder joint. This stops him from both physically punching me but also causes all mana in his arm to cease. Bingo! Didn't expect me to stop the flow of your mana did you? I smirk pushing forward on his shoulder, causing him to loose balance and topple backwards. I continue onward, grabbing the back of the next guy's head, I accelerate it downward while throwing a knee to his gut, effectively knocking the wind out of him and dropping him to the ground. With no time to think I continue getting into everyone's personal space and disrupting their flow of mana with each blow to their nervous system. Occasionally one or two guys would make a grab for me, but I used their own inertia to send them flying into the rest of group. It was sort of like bowling with mages.

Coming upon the last contender, I mentally review my physical status. If it wasn't for my potions I don't think my muscles would have lasted this long. With a smaller group I don't think they would have held off throwing longer range attacks at me. I guess they didn't want friendly fire when I'm all up in their friends' faces. Just as the last mage was about to submit, the original antagonist manages to stand up.

"You can't do that! You can't just stop my attack like that. You have no mana! I'll show you what power really means!" He yells at me. He is loosing his cool and starts to throw mana filled punches willy nilly at me in hopes that something will hit. I can tell this isn't his typical fighting style but my blows make him blind with rage. Every time he sticks his arm out I either slip past his attack or parry all while lightly hitting several nerves on the inside of bicep with the back of my hand. They're so minor he doesn't even feel the contact being made. I do notice he's watching my feet though. No doubt trying to get me to trip over one of the bodies on the ground. When he thinks it will work, he tries to throw the biggest electric fist he can manage at my face. Amazed at the frustration he's showing I stand still. To the naked eye it looks like I'm frozen, that is until his fist stops an inch from my face and all of his magic disappears. I take this moment to grab a hold of the inside of his fist and roll it sidewise. He's either going to take the fall or allow me to keep rolling and break his wrist. It doesn't matter to me at this moment, it's actively his choice. He holds his ground and chooses to have his wrist broken instead.