Chapter 3 - Guardian Seals

"Ember..... Ember...... It's time to go." A hand on my shoulder gently rouses me from my slumber. I crack my eyes open to be met with warm hazel eyes and a black messy mop of hair. "Come on Ember. It's time for the trials, you gotta get up. I've got blueberry muffins~" Alec tries to entice me off my napping spot on the couch.

"Nhhhhh" is all I can mange to verbally respond with. I stick a hand out expectantly for my wake-up muffin. I am not disappointed. Rolling to a sitting position I start unwrapping my muffin. It's warm and fragrant.

"Come on. We gotta leave soon if we're going to make it in time. Don't you want to see your sister conquer the trials and become a guardian?" Alec asks as he gathers our shoes and jackets in preparation to leave.

"Nhhhhh I guess. I don't know why she's trying for it anyways. It's not like anyone believes in us guardians anymore. She's wasting her time." I reply as I put on the gym shoes he's given me. Alec sighs as he stands up from putting his shoes on.

"Maybe she is, or maybe it's you that's wasting your time. The clock's running out Ember, what are you going to do?" He asks with his back facing me. I reach for his arm to turn him around.

"What are you-AHHH!" The world is suddenly moving as I leap out of bed. 'A dream, it's just a dream. A really messed up dream. But why is my heart racing?' I think catching my breath.

"Oh your up! How do you feel?" looking to my right I see Owen making his way to me. I'm confined to a twin size bed in the trauma room. There's only me, Owen and a few other doctors finishing up for the day left in the room. The exams must have ended a while ago. He takes a seat next to my bed and grabs my wrist to check my pulse.

"I don't know. I've got a splitting headache though. What in the world happen?" I ask him. The last thing I remember is Asta stepping forward for his battle and encouraging him to kick the hamster ball down a hill.

"According to the other medics, you fell during the first battle and became unresponsive to medical magic. Yami stopped by. He said you looked like you were in pain and were yelling at the kid to put his sword away. Do you not remember any of this?" Owen asks, now shining a light into my eyes to check my pupils' response.

"Vaguely....." I try to think back. 'Pain.... Pain... I was in pain .... But...OH! THE BURN!' To Owen's surprise I start unzipping the front of my shirt as fast as I can. "Owen! My chest it was burning! It was burning like the night I came to Clover with Mereolona Vermillion!"

"But you're not in a high mana region..."

"I know! I know! But I saw Alec too! In my dream just now! You don't think it could be coming undone do you?!" I ask, worry in my voice. I've fully opened my top, exposing the black inky intricate lines above my breast. Most of the marks are covered by my bra. But the edges peak out, displayed as complicated interwoven brushstrokes. They are the proof as my previous life as a guardian.

"Hmmm, it's hard to say. Though it does look weaker than the first night you arrived." He says looking at one marking in particular. It's a blotchy red circle above my heart. It's hard to make out the several runes that are inscribed within the circle. It looks out of place against the black markings and nothing like the sharp, crisp lines that were placed upon me two years ago. "How long has it been like this?"

"It was fine this morning! I swear Owen! What do we do? I told her this could happen!" I whisper harshly. Owen looks around to make sure none of the other doctors are nearby to see or hear the conversation.