Chapter 32 - Investigations and a Lioness's Return

Twins. I'm having twins...what the actual fuck?! Just how potent is Fuegoleon? I mean I knew having sex meant running the risk of having a kid, but two? What am I going to do? I'll need double of everything! We aren't married. What if he doesn't want kids, they'll be bastards. I'll have to support them all on my own so I can't make as many potions for the commonwealth as I usually do. Fuck, what if I have to give up my potions? Kids shouldn't be around that kind of stuff, it's dangerous. Who's going to watch them when I work? Mereoleona? Gods no. She was going to throw Leo off a cliff when he was three. I can see it now- 'Leona, where did you take the kids today?' I'll ask. 'Oh just to a fucking volcano!' She can't babysit, not if I ever want those kids to see adulthood. Oh hell no, what if they're both hellions like her? Fuegoleon and her have the same DNA but they're so different! I'm going to fucking die, I just know it! We're all screwed!

"Is she going to be alright Owen?"

"I think the news came as bit of a shock to her Lord Julius. She's been like this ever since I've told her. Though she has gotten better. She stopped hyperventilating about an hour ago. So that's always good news." Owen says as the two men watch me pace around the hospital room. When I was first told that I would be having twins, you could have blown me over I was so shocked. How could I have missed the signs? I mean I did work in the Royal Hospital for years and pregnancy diagnoses were not uncommon. It would explain the fatigue, the nausea, change in appetite, everything I felt prior to the capital attack.

Shock soon turned into happiness though. Not only was I going to have a child with the love of my life, but I was going to have two! Two mini Fuegoleon-Ember hybrids running around. Who would they look more like? Me or their father? That was silly, of course they'd look like Fuegoleon, all the Vermilions had some shade of ginger hair. I couldn't wait to share the news with him. But wait, I couldn't. He was in a coma because of me. I couldn't tell him. We hadn't even approached the subject of marriage yet let alone children. I didn't even know if he wanted kids. He was happy being a captain after all, and couldn't you think of all the squad members as his wards anyways? Oh but there was there was Leo. I saw how patient yet stern he was when teaching Leo, and there was a 14 year age gap between the two brothers. It's almost like it could be said that Leo was practice for when Fuegoleon decided to have his own kids. But the fact that we never even approached the subject left too many variables open. And with him trapped in a slumber from which he may never awaken I was left to navigate this pregnancy and child rearing all on my own, with no one to fall back on. So needless to say I was freaking out.

"Ember. Ember. Ember!" I'm snapped out of my ruminating thoughts as Julius gently shakes me. It takes me a minute to realize why he's here, or when he even got here. "Are you ready now that you've showered and changed? The captains are waiting for you. I know you must still be in shock and all but it will be all right. Come, let me escort you down there. Come now." Julius holds out his hand for me to take. Dazed I grab it, allowing myself to be guided through the many twists and turns within the castle hallways, like a lost child. I can sense Julius is talking to me, holding a one sided conversation as I'm still lost in my own train of thought. Somehow in the chaos of my own thoughts I was able to shower and change into just my white sleeve long shirt, shorts and boots. Owen vetoed my usual corset, saying that I would have to quickly get used to not wearing it anyways, as I already saw that I was starting to show the tiniest bit. But I was able to hide it easily with my flowing white shirt. Soon we arrived to the dungeon doors where I can only speculate the remaining captains remain. I'm only now just starting to get a grasp on what is about to happen. "Ember. I've known you since Mereoleona returned to Clover with you. I know you wouldn't do anything to purposely hurt the citizens of Clover, and I know how hard you've worked to keep your guardian powers dormant. I've told them only the basics. What brought you to Clover, why you stayed, the very nature of the guardians and your power and choice to keep that power sealed. However as with great power comes fear. Just remember to stay calm and I'm sure everyone will know you mean no harm nor will you ever intend to harm Clover." Julius tells me. His warm smile shows in his eyes. I just hope this all goes as smoothly as he think it will. I can only give a small nod to confirm that I've heard him. "Great. Then off you go!" he says opening the doors and gently pushing me in.