Chapter 9 - Flight by Lion

The next few weeks progress in the same manner as my first full day as a knight. I wake up before breakfast for one-on-one training with Fuegoleon in order to work on improving the seal's mana flow. After breakfast I either train with the junior knights or work on producing and improving my current medical supplies. The afternoon then consists of me training all stationed knights on mana points, joint manipulation and basic first aid. By dinnertime I'm usually exhausted, but I manage to usually find a spot to work on some relaxation techniques. Sometimes that means reading in my room or one of the more quite common areas; other times that means returning to the elite training hall and practicing on my own. It wasn't until my second week that I felt comfortable enough to relax in the communal baths without worrying about peeping toms.

It's been the third week of this repetitive schedule. I haven't been sent on any missions, as I still needed to be within close proximity of Fuegoleon. Being held up within the base's walls was starting to give me cabin fever. Owen usually brings me in any medicinal herbs and necessities I requested when he comes in to check on the seal's progress every week. But I still yearned to do some adventuring of my own.

I sigh as my back hits the ground and I stare into the open sky. Pinks and oranges paint a contrast against the wispy clouds as the sun rises. "Your mana control has shown quite a bit of improvement since the first day." I turn my head to the right to see my captain sitting next to me, knee propped up, with arms supporting him from behind. I suppose he's also admiring the sunrise from the ground. This morning's training session ended up with us both on the ground after I decided to go all kamikaze and tackle him to the ground like a football player. I had gotten really annoyed by all the attacks he was landing day in and day out. I don't think he was quite ready for my glomp attack through all the fire and smoke.

"It's only because you threw me into the deep end you jerk." I pout. He laughs out loud.

"How else was I supposed to ensure my sleep?" he says. I stick my tongue out at him. He looks at me from the corner of his eye. I give a small laugh and continue to look at the sky. "We're going to the castle today."

"You and Leo? Well have fun."

"You're coming too."

"Huh?" I sit up to look at him.

"The castle is too far for us to maintain the mana flow so you're coming with. I've got a meeting with the Magic King and some of the other captains." I clasp my hands in excitement. Finally! A chance to get out. Granted it's in the castle but maybe the flow will allow me enough room to go into Kikka for some shopping. "Leo will be going home to visit our family while I'm in the meeting so I'm afraid you'll be alone for a while. So please don't go making trouble." I gasp at the accusation.

"Me? A trouble maker? I've never been the one to start a fight. I'm a medic –"

"not a fighter." He finishes my sentence for me knowing the predicaments I can get myself into. He pokes me in the forehead "It's an order Ember. You now represent the Crimson Lions. I do not want any reports on you starting fights over insults. You have more control than that." I bat his hand away.

"You give me too much credit." I mumble. He stands up from his spot and holds out his hand. Grabbing it tightly I quickly get hoisted from the cool ground. We're now standing ungodly close to one another where I can feel his breath on my skin. I blush harder and quickly step away, making sure to turn my head so he doesn't notice my blush. He gives a small cough and looks away as well. Glad to see I'm not the only one embarrassed. Ahhhhh he's so cute when he does that. My blush deepens even more.