Chapter 30 - The Edge of Death

"What do you mean the capital is under attack?" I run to a nearby window to see if what the castle mage says is true. Being in one of the castle's upper levels I'm able to see several plumes of black smoke from many different regions of the city. The attack seems to be spread fairly wide and localized to different sectors suggesting multiple enemies. The messenger isn't wrong, there appears to be an attack on the capital.

                  "I'll use my stone creation magic. Stone Model of the World." Shiren says opening his grimoire. A large detailed three dimensional model of the city appears in front of us all. It's super detailed. Every brick and shingle of every house within the capital can be seen. Even each citizen has been re-created, their miniature voices screaming as attackers peruse him or her. If it wasn't such a dire situation I would have bugged Shiren about this magic. It seems like the perfect way to make model dollhouses, but some how I don't think that's what he does in his spare time. My eye is drawn to the central corridor, where my apartment used to be. No surprise there's a fire and many screams from that area of the capital.

                  Slowly I walk around the capital model. Something doesn't feel right to me. Now that Asta's swords don't plague me a continuous chill runs up and down my spine. It's similar to the one I got during my first mission and found the mass grave with the Dalmascus steel. It's my own internal sensor telling me a fair amount of death is nearby.

                  "A formidable spatial mage must have made them materialized in an instant." I hear Fuegoleon say to Alecdora as they observe the scene unfolding within the stone model. The amount of screams I hear from the model combined with the actual screams from outside the castle increase my worry. We need to act quickly, there are injured out there and I need to help them. I glance down at my bag only to see it's lighter than usual. Crap! I didn't pack any potions! I wasn't expecting anything to happen in the capital, now I really am useless as a medic. I'll just have to make sure to protect everyone before they get hurt. I think before taking my place next to Fuegoleon. They're trying to figure out how to split us all up to be the most effective.

                  "No! What're we waiting around for?! We know there are people who need our help out there! I'm going!" Asta screams as he starts running towards the door.

                  "Going where Asta?! We don't have a complete grasp of the situation yet, and anyway, you can't sense magic at all remember?!" The golden dawn knight with the glasses shouts at him. But Asta doesn't seem to care about this small detail at all.

                  "I'm going to where it's the noisiest!" Asta yells as he runs down the hallway. We're all left in the banquet hall staring at his disappearing figure. He seems very determined to help, yet his ability to fully grasp what needs to be done makes me wonder if we can depend on him.

                  "Hahaha! Interesting! Let's see what you've got! Wait up for me my rival!" Leo yells running down the hall after Asta. Great, now there's two of you I've got to worry about. I groan as we watch him run out the door. I'm starting to have flash backs on having to chase the cub down on the beach to make sure he was taking care of himself. I shake my head quickly to get rid of the memory. I have to focus right now.

                  "That Leo... he's still very much a child. I'll have to take him in hand later." I hear Fuegoleon mumble to me after an exasperated sigh.  "Alright! I'm sure you find it irritating to take orders from me but listen well, magic knights! I'll follow Leo and the Black Bulls boy. After I've joined them, we'll head to the north district. You Black Bulls Girl! Come with me!" Fuegoleon's grimoire opens to produce the fire lion I'm familiar with. Apparently we'll be taking to the air again. He holds out a hand to help Noelle up onto the beast.  "Silver Eagles, take the central district where the enemy is the strongest! Blue Roses take the eastern district, and Golden Dawn split into two teams and head to the west and northwest districts! If we fail to protect the capital we'll bring shame upon the Magic Knights. What ever you do, don't let the enemy escape!" He yells at us. Everyone breaks up into the teams and quickly prepares to leave through their magical vehicle of choice. I have just enough time to jump on the table and flop onto the front of the lion, stomach first before we take off.