Chapter 2 - The Sword that Sings

I awoke to the song of birds and the first rays of light. Today's the day for the Magic Knight's examination. I wonder how many are going to try out this year. I think, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. Owwww.... That's right that jerk-face's mana bullet from last night. Guess I should put more ointment on it and have Owen take a look before reporting to the exams.

I proceed to roll out of bed and drag myself into the shower to get ready for the day. Getting out of the shower, I look at yesterday's outfit deeming it unfit to be re-used. Deciding on something a tad more durable, I reach into my closet and grab a gray and green outfit. It's a tight dark green high-necked sleeveless top that displays my midriff but fully covered my bountiful bosom. Black leggings with dark green and gray accents covered my legs while a dark green skirt with slits up the sides pop against my leggings. Pulling on my gloves, I fasten my dark green, floor length cape around my shoulders. Double checking that my key necklace was tucked securely under my shirt, I run a brush quickly through my hair. I actively decide that I should leave my waves down today. Finally I pull on my thigh high black and gray boots and headed out the door.

                  Arriving to work, I head to Owen's office and knock on his door

Arriving to work, I head to Owen's office and knock on his door. I open the door in response to his "Come in."

"Mornin' Owen! Are you ready?" I ask him causing him to look up from his morning's reading. Sighing, he turns his chair towards me.

"I see you didn't walk away from last night's adventure unscratched. Sit" he says indicating for me to sit in a chair across from him. "You're lucky he didn't hit your eye. Though I can't say he ended up much better." He says gently grabbing my chin and moving my face to the side for examination. Opening his grimoire he looks for a spell to assist in the healing process.

"You saw him already? Damn, I thought I got here early enough." I grumble. "How'd you know it was me? Did he confess how he try to corner a young damsel in a dark alley way to defend his master's honor?" I ask in my best "damsel in distress" voice possible. This gets a chuckle out of Owen.

"Not quite. Broken bones with no indication of magical trauma, plus I recognize your first aid anywhere. The guy still had your makeshift splint adorning his arm. A bit crude using your shirt to secure it but good job none the less." A grin graces my face at his praise. "Hold still." He instructs me while he works his magic on the mana burns. His water magic feels cool against my skin as the healing process is sped up. Closing his grimoire, Owen grabs some of my ointment stored in his desk drawer and applies a thin layer to the affected areas. "Just don't go picking fights at the exams today. You're there to provide medical treatment to the participants, not to change the mind of every noble that has a sour disposition." I scrunch my nose in distain at his instructions.

"Fine." I grumpily reply. "Where are we stationed at for the exams? Are we on the main floor or the trauma room?" I ask, watching Owen rummage through his desk to finalize the supplies he is taking to the exam.