Chapter 19 - A Kindling Passion

"Is he alright?"

"Uhhhhh...."

"Idiot should have kept his mouth shut." I give Leona a look. It was her fault we were in this situation to begin with. If she didn't trick me into running after hall into the training hall dressed as inappropriately as I was, then Leo would have never made those explicit comments that caused my foot to find its way to his face. Fuegoleon and I stand over the passed out cub. It had taken a good five minutes for my anger and embarrassment to dissipate for me to realize that the youngest Vermillion may need medical attention. I squat down next to him and poke him in the cheek. I get no response. There's still a clear imprint of my foot on his face. I probably kicked him hard enough that he has a head injury, but without my first aid kit I can't do much but try and diagnose him. Eventually he comes to and I've determined he does not have a concussion but he should take time to recover for the rest of the day. Leo's injury didn't get me out of practice for the day though as I was allowed to change into more proper clothing, eat some breakfast pastries left in the kitchen and then proceed to training.

We stayed at the Vermillion estate another two days before Leona decided to hit the road again. We said our good byes at the entrance to the estate before parting ways, her back to her wild adventuring and the rest of us back to the Crimson Lion's base. The next few days at base seem to repeat themselves. Wake up early and train on mana control with Fuegoleon, then a quick breakfast before before hitting the training hall with both Vermillion brothers. Training often consisted of Leo challenging me to some absurd task that seemed to fall in line with learning magic. They were things like who could light the most candles in a given time, who could maintain a flame the longest, and who could get the longest range on their mana based attacks. I lost to all of them giving Leo bragging rights over me but I didn't mind much. I was just happy I hadn't incinerated everything in sight.

I was also quickly coming to terms with my new magic. I kept telling myself that I couldn't be an effective medic if I couldn't defend on the battle field and protect my wards. So I was now becoming more inclined to more battle oriented training regimen.

Besides the black nature of my flame another peculiar thing we quickly discovered was the temperature at which it burned. Fuegoleon's flame burned so hot that almost anything could be burned or melted quickly, however mine was the exact opposite. It was slow and chilling to the bone. My flame didn't seem to warm the soul nearly as much as Fuegoleon's at all. After some discussion we came to the decision that my magic must be due to the melding of his fire attribute with my guardian's powers. After all, both times when I passed from this world, hell was not full of the purgatory fires everyone talks about but rather it was an intense cold and desolate place.

Another problem that seemed to have arose after our stay at the Vermillion House was the increased sexual tension between us. Leona's words kept resonating in my head everyday. 'So take command of the hunt and then make your attack.' After our kiss I was fairly certain that my captain had at least some physical attraction to me. And I wasn't going to complain on my end either. I found everything about him intoxating. His hair, his deep voice, the unique hue his eyes had. Everything. But I wasn't quite sure what I was wanting at the moment. I needed more time to sort through my feelings. Sadly I haven't have time to reflect as much as I'd like. With our short break after our mission, Fuegoleon's work increased exponentially. If he wasn't training us in the morning he was usually shut up in his office completing paperwork and partaking in meetings. As for me I was usually busy trying to meet the increased demand for potions and ointments from all nine magic knight squads. I was also noticing an increase in patients at the squad's infirmary. Majority of it was due to work fatigue. It seemed the demand for magic knights has increased across all squads causing me to work overtime ensuring everyone was properly prepared and cared for.