15 value of a life

"Taehyung." I heaved out a sigh for the nth time since I came to see him. He sat across me, as usual, expressionless, hands kept together on the table where the warden can see them. "You have to help me so I can help you. The last time you told me what happened that night at the bar where you worked part time. I believe you but you have to give me names."

He kept silent, not an inch of his facial muscles moved. I am really running out of patience so I took my bag and stood up. "They said they'll hurt you."

I stopped on my way out. Taehyung looked at me, eyes blank, and then looked away quickly. I sat back down, "Who told you that?"

"Just them. It doesn't matter who told me." He said, still refusing to give me a name.

"Are you scared that I will be hurt?" I asked him in a soft tone. He really is pure and too good for this detention center. "Taehyung, you don't need to worry about me. You should only look out for yourself. If I fail this case, you will, no doubt, be sentenced to prison for who knows how long. Do you understand me?"

Surprisingly, he did. Taehyung nodded his head. "That night.. I told you I worked late."

"Yes, yes you did." I hurriedly took my notebook out of my bag in case I needed to jot down important addresses or something. "And then what happened?"

"I was locking up the bar when a car stopped up front. It wasn't just any car. It was a luxury car. Ones that only rich people can afford." Taehyung narrated in detail and I kept quiet, listening. "One guy opened the door on the left side and then another guy came out from the driver's seat. There were a total of three guys huddled together.. I began to wonder what was happening but I kept myself in the shadows. I had a gut feeling that it was something bad."

"And then they brought out a girl." Taehyung stopped to swallow hard. "She was clearly unconscious as one of the guys carried her and the other two looked around but I already hid myself behind a dumpster. They took her inside the bar."

"Inside?" I questioned, brows furrowed. "Does that mean they have access to the bar? Because you said you had locked up."

"They did. They have a key. I don't know where they got it and I've never met them in my life so I don't know if they are friends with the owner." Taehyung replied, his eyes focused on his hands. "I waited for them until they were inside the bar before I used the other side of the alley to leave quietly. I didn't know what happened after. I just felt pain on the back of my head and started to lose consciousness."

🍒

I didn't even realize that I've been staring into space until I heard a couple of light knocks on my door. I quickly gathered myself and straightened up on my chair, "Come in."

Jihoon entered my office with a cup of coffee that I didn't ask for. He just smiled at me warmly when I had a puzzled look on my face, "I just thought you needed a little pick me up. You look tired, Ms. Cherrie. You shouldn't forget to look after yourself."

"Thank you. That's so nice of you, Jihoon." I instantly smiled. Jihoon is one of the nicest people I know at work. Seeing him reminds me that there are still people like him out there who are genuine and thoughtful.

The afternoon wasn't that busy so he had the time to sit with me in my office and talk while I enjoy the coffee he brought me. We were looking back at some moments and laughing at them at the same time, "I remember we started working here almost at the same time. This office was Mr. Heo's that time. He was such a good man. I liked working with him."