02| Things Don't Stay The Same

Start from the beginning

"At least Mama married someone in her age range, not someone who could be his daughter," I replied, "Besides, I would rather listen to Justin Beiber songs on repeat instead of getting know her,"

He laughs,  "By the way, you look fantastic," I said, trying to distract myself from the painful reality that is my life. "You look smaller than you were...before,"  I said.

"I am," he grins proudly. "Went down two sizes."

"No one cooks delicious things in here?" I ask.

"Oh, Mama Noura cooks amazingly," He laughs. "And I partake in all of them. But I also run four days a week and do yoga every morning with Emilia." I hold myself from grinding my teeth at the mention of her name.

Mama Noura is Baba's mother, my grandmother. I am still shocked that she accepted Baba's marriage to Emilia since she is a strict traditional woman who refused to let my father marry my mother until she wore the hijab.  

"How did Baba convince Mama Noura?" I wondered.

"I don't know, but convinced wouldn't describe what Mama Noura is feeling," Fahad said. "After Baba got married he was no longer a common police officer; he has been promoted to lead investigator, so Baba is buried in work and comes in late at night, so Mama Noura doesn't have time to voice her opinion," 

"Ohh, I surely hope Mama Noura treats Emilia like she treated Mama," I said.

"Astaghfirullah," Fahad began. "Don't drive Baba to kick you out of his new wife's house," Fahad warned.

"Living in the street is much better than with her, but I don't think Baba or Mama would agree to let me live there since they are afraid of what people will say!" I replied as I heard a loud noise coming from both my phone and Fahad's phone.

Allah- Akbar.

It was Asr adhan that was blasting from our phones. "Let us head back," Fahad said as I nodded in agreement.

******

After praying Asr in Fahad's room since I didn't have the guts to face my father without saying things I may regret later, I decided to cool off, pray, and then find Baba. Despite not getting a house tour, I found my way around the luxurious house and opened every door on the floor.

"Mama Noura!" I exclaimed as I opened the door of one of the rooms as I found Mama Noura sitting on her prayer mat.

"Habibti! Come here," My grandmother said as I rushed toward her, "I missed you so much; you look so skinny," 

I laugh, "I missed you too, Mama Noura, and you know what? you are the only one who thinks I am skinny,"

Mama Noura continues to complain, "You've lost a lot of weight. Have you been starving yourself? Has your mother not been feeding you?" She said, think to pinch my cheeks.

Somethings never change.

"Mama Noura," I addressed her, "Why did-" before I could continue asking the question, I was surprised by a loud footstep coming in.

"Kristina! What are you doing?" Emilia half yelled and half-whispered.

"Emilia, I wanna pray with Mama Noura," It was a girl's voice. Kristina is her name, and I think she is related to Emilia?

"Bnaity, Come in," Kristina, who is the four-year-old that came into view after busting through the door.

"Please tell me; this isn't Baba's daughter ?" I asked grandma.

"No," I heard Emilia. "She is my niece," 

"Ya Allah sabrk," I murmured to myself as the little girl went into grandma's embrace.

"Who are you ?" The little girl asked.

"This is my daughter, Zahrah," My dad said.

"Z-Zaherahaa" The little girl struggled to pronounce it.

"No need to pronounce it," I said as I got up, ready to leave when Emilia stood my way.

"What is your problem, Cabin girl," She said.

With that name came the memories, and I couldn't stop myself from pulling her hair, throwing some bunches, and going into a full fighting mood.

Author Note 

PLEASE tell me whether you think I should continue this story or not, and don't forget to support this story :)

Jazakallah a million!