As I pulled a pair of skinny jeans on I stopped as I tried to button them. They were looser than normal. Absence of dread washed over me. I knew that I had lost a bit of weight from morning sickness and my picky eating but how on earth could it show this much. I looked down at my stomach and pulled the waist of the jeans out after I buttoned and zipped them up. They usually fit like a glove over my hips and lower abdomen but now there was at least half an inch of looseness as I pulled them out. When I let go they sagged back and rested loosely on my hips.

"Well fuck you too then..." I growled at my stomach. How could a few cells have this much impact on me? The knot growing in my stomach probably wasn't even bigger than a sesame seed. I pulled my phone out and googled what a five-week-old foetus would look like. The images that popped up on my phone had my stomach turning. I rushed to the bathroom, still only wearing my jeans and threw up. Not because I was nauseous but because of what I had seen on my phone. The image of the bony shrimp thing attached to a transparent vain looking thing. The images of mothers holding their miscarried five-week-old shrimp babies. The slimy lump people held in sadness and called beautiful. There was a slimy shrimp inside me. I breathed heavily and leaned my head on the wall. A disturbing thought slipped into my mind and I felt goosebumps sprawling from my skin.

"Brian..." I said as I came into the kitchen after having put on a shirt. He turned around and pulled the headphones off his head. He was frying rice with eggs, carrots, peas and ham. "Do you think a five-week-old foetus has bones?"

He gave me a confused look before his gaze drifted off into space for a second. "I think they have some kind of bones..." he eventually said.

"Okay..." I nodded and poured myself a glass of juice.

"Why?" Brian asked.

"I was just wondering what it would be like to chew one..."

Brian froze at the spot. He went completely silent, stopped stirring the rice and just stared down at the pan with a traumatised expression. I hadn't realised just how absurd and fucked up my thought was until I said it out loud. Our apartment was dead silent. Only the frying rice's oozing was filling the rooms with sound. I slowly sipped my juice, waiting to see who would speak up first. Brian shakily turned his head to me, terribly slowly. His face was pale. His glasses had slipped down his nose as he stared down at the pan and his eyes were wide open.

"Did you... what... did you do something to the baby..?" He stuttered.

I turned my head to him and glared as he stared at me in absolute horror. I wasn't even about to speak, I just waited for him to finish gaping at me.

"Did you eat your baby?" He stuttered.

My eyes widened at his question. "THAT'S WHAT WAS GOING THROUGH YOUR HEAD?!" I yelled and slammed my fists into his chest. He groaned and backed up as I grabbed his spatula and started stirring the rice before it got burned. "Nothing happened..." I growled. "It was just a fucked up thought that popped into my head!"

"So the baby's fine..?"

"Yes..." I hissed. He sighed softly in relief and walked up to the stove, taking over the cooking. "Since when do you give a shit about babies?" I mumbled.

"It's not just a baby..." he mumbled. "It's your baby..."

I took a step back at the thought. I never intended to have kids. This wasn't part of my plan. I was going to graduate, get a good job, find a nice apartment and have a bunch of dogs. That was it, no children or romance involved. But now that plan was ruined and I would be stuck with Jayden for the rest of my life if I didn't do anything about the slimy shrimp in my stomach.