3. K I A R A ' S P O V

"Once upon a time-"

"Papa," I interrupted the trail of his non-special stories and had an endeavor to remind him that storytelling was mom's art, not his. "I am fine." He crooked his eyebrow at the bucket of ice-cream. "Just a menstrual carving."

Without offering a word, he laid next to me on the bed, hooked his elbow behind his head and twisted his neck to peer inside the transparent eyes. One look and I could sense the understanding in the broken light green eyes. Mom had been right. Dad's eyes change colour depending on his mood but you wouldn't know unless you are peering deep into his eyes or read one of mom's poetry on them.

"I met Abeer today." I dropped the bucket between our figures. "He was coming out of your office."

"Second chances," I mumbled. "Mama always said about second chances."

"Your mama is too nice," He commented. "She forgives people easily. She tries to find good in others. Her benefit of the doubt."

"I am a grown-up woman."

"I never denied." He raised his lips in a small smile. "I never knew you growing up means I will lose my daughter, Kiara Sanjana Oberoi."

The warmth under the skin glowed deeper at the mention of my full name. He didn't dare to utter it out unless I had disappointed him. Since he didn't like screaming at us, he would just harden his voice or utter our full names.

While I got my grandmother's name, Anya got mom's name. Maybe that suited both of our personalities too better.

"He is just an acquaintance."

"My ex-wife will never be my acquaintance," He said harshly, his tone hardening and trying to make me understand what wrong I was initiating with the small dinner plans I had with Abeer. "Your mom will always remain the girl I fell in love with. I can move on or be with another but the kind of passion I have with her will never be given to anyone else."

"I do not love him anymore," I forced my voice to harden at the prospect of being with him romantically again when none of these thoughts troubled the conscience. "How can I love him after everything?" Despite my demand, dad lowered his eyes to the middle of the bed, a dark understanding reflected on his face before he shifted his vision back to my face and offered a small tainted smile. "Papa, trust me."

"I do." Leaning closer to my forehead, he pressed his lips on the cold skin. "I always trust you, precious." A smile urged to grab my mouth but an unsettled feeling rested at the bottom of my stomach. When years back the truth about my real relationship had unfolded in front of him, dad hadn't taken it better as I had suspected.

"Is it true?" He demanded, his voice lowered down to a hiss, his fingers gripped the edge of the table under his tight grip. From the distance, Adyant's facial expression demanded that I leave the room because dad was on the verge of losing his anger.

I could feel the crackle in the air.

I could hear the threat in his voice.

"Kiara, is it true that you eloped with Abeer without any of our knowledge?!" The barrier broke, his voice bounced on the walls with a large impact, and from my position, I was startled and stared at him in shock.

"Papa-"

"You." He didn't turn his eyes away from mine. "Leave. Adyant, leave."

"But-"