33. The One Where We Both Talk

[ A L I N A ' S P O V ]

"You told him what?!" I screamed at the girl standing in front of me, shifting uncomfortably on her toes and waving her hands to calm me down.

How could I calm down when she told such a big lie to him? How could she tell him about a boyfriend that didn't even exist in my life? How could I pull it up in front of him?

"Alina-"

"You told him I have a boyfriend?!" I threw my shirt on the bed, too frustrated to even fold and place them in the closet. Clutching my forehead, I settled down on my new bed and breathed rapidly to control the anxiety catching up to me. "I don't have a boyfriend."

"But it was worth it," She remarked. "You should've seen his face."

"Hurt?" I shook my head in denial. "He won't believe it. He knows me. He knows I don't date casually."

She tusked. "That's the fun. Show him that you've moved on."

"This was wrong." Getting up, I started folding my clothes again to set my new wardrobe and get used to living alone for next years of my life. "You shouldn't have done that. How Pranit could get ready for this?"

She sighed, picked one of my cloth to fold it. "He was waiting to be your boyfriend." I gave her a look. "There is Pranit who actually seems like a decent man, and there is Kabir with his arrogance and attitude."

Rolling my eyes, I ignored her words and tried to imagine the hurt on Kabir's face. No matter how much angry I was with him, I knew he loved me. I had lived with him, I had gone through worse with him. Even if the reason for our breakup was valid from his side. I needed a break from us, from the overwhelming feeling it had left on me, but how he did was so wrong.

Who broke on the day of the proposal? He didn't even care to see me as if I didn't deserve it. I would've canceled the marriage idea and worked on getting myself better.

He just needed to talk with me.

Maybe I didn't deserve it.

"I don't care. This will hurt Pranit too. You're leading him without any reason," I clarified.

"What?" She rolled her eyes. "You cannot cry for Kabir for the rest of your life. One day you've to move on. Pranit is good. He likes you and you both have same past," She mumbled quietly.

Snorting, I said, "Don't do that. Bring my past. You know how much I hate it."

Leaving the clothes, she grasped my shoulders and turned my attention to hers. "Why are you like this? So complicated. If a breakup happens, go into another, fling it out."

"Because that's not who I am," I forced out. "A pain of one relationship cannot be fulfilled by another. I don't do flings. I've seen my parents, okay? Relationships losses their meaning if they're made so casually. Love is not a casual word." My throat croaked out. "It means something. It's not to be thrown up and then made fun of. I'm like this." Shrugging her hands, I peered at my phone and endeavor to call Kabir.

"You still love him, don't you?" She chuckled dryly. "Alina Gupta still loves the boy who broke her in pieces."

I sealed my lips. Yes, I loved him. Yes, I hated him. Yes, I had no idea what was going through me anymore. I slapped him as if it would solve every problem of ours.

"I don't. I just don't want to hurt him by lying."

"He hurt you, Alina. Have you forgotten that?!" She flew her hands in the air, frustrated by my behavior. "Just pretend, okay? You want him out of your life, don't you?" I nodded. "Then what's better than pretending? He will see you've moved on and left you alone."