25. The One Where I was Disown

What had I done?

The thought ran through my mind for next ten minutes after mom had cut the call. Had I done right by exposing the secret to her? And her of all the people in the world, her who was always concerned about our family image, her who hated the idea of my past spreading in the society.

I covered my face with my hands, ignoring Rahul, Dhruv, and Nisha crowding around me, pinning me with questions.

What should I do now? Where should I go? What would be her reaction?

Most of all, could I fight through this?

"I called Kabir," Nisha's voice brought me back to reality. "He's coming back."

Nodding, I tapped my foot on the floor. "Mama will come early. His GYM is at the end another end of the city."

"We're here." Dhruv sat next to me. "We'll talk to her."

"No!" I left the word out. "It's my and Kabir's problem, please don't meddle in."

"But-"

I cut off Rahul's words. "Please, don't. It's our decision. We'll face it."

Rahul slung his arm over my shoulder, rubbing my arm and I placed my head on his shoulder, taking deep breaths and readying myself.

"I called mom and dad too," She whispered. "They're coming. You should call your dad."

I shook my head. "She must've called him by now. It doesn't matter anymore."

Taking a deep breath, I cursed myself. If only I had listened to Kabir and told them in the summer vacation then no problem would've occurred. If only I was strong to accept our relationship rather than hiding it.

For minutes, I laid my head on his shoulder, hoping it was of Kabir and I could tell him how much scared I was in this particular moment, how the veins in me were squeezing and tightening with fear, how the world seemed a scary place, how my anxiety was rising up.

"My medicines." Pushing my head from his shoulder, I walked to the table and grabbed the pills bottles. "Can you get me an apple?" I directed my question to Dhruv. Nodding, he left the room and came back with an apple. Biting it directly, I finished and took my medicines as if it would calm the roar and torment rushing through my veins.

And the bell rang.

Either it was Kabir or mom.

Moving from the seat, I walked out of the room and trudged to the door. Taking a deep breath, I opened it and was met by a furious lady in a cream color pantsuit who didn't care to offer any greetings and barged into the apartment.

"Mama." Closing the door, I turned and said, "I can explain."

"Explain what?!" She screamed, anger wrapping her face. "Are you living with him?"

Curling my left hand on my right wrist, I nodded.

"Since when? Alina, look at me." Pulling my gaze to her, she curled her lips in disgust. "I knew you would do this. I told your dad, warned him you're not in our control anymore! Have you imagine what would happen if it gets out that you both are living together without marriage?"

"But mama, let me explain. I don't know why it matters. We were already studying together!"

"It does!" She shouted. "From such difficulties, I'm hiding that you're off with your boyfriend. You're leaving right now. Your dad's order. You'll be doing a private course."

What?

My gasp was enough for her to smile a bit. "Yes. You'll be in the house. No more outgoings for you anymore, no more studying in the college. We gave you too much freedom that you've forgotten your morals. Complete your study and get married. You already lost a chance of your future when you left Medical."