11. The One Where I Turn Off Humanity

[ K A B I R ' S P O V ]

I woke up from the sound of the bell ringing in the apartment. Confused, I stared at my watch and it was late night. Who would be there at this hour? Carefully, I pried Alina's hands and head from my chest. Covering her body with the blanket, I vacated the room and opened the door of the apartment.

And gasped, seeing the figure.

"Kabir, who's there?" Kriti sleepy voice asked me from behind.

"Dad," I whispered. "What are you doing here?"

He frowned seeing me, took in my appearance. I was still wearing the waiter's clothes.

"Alina, where is she?" He entered the apartment, and from behind him, I found Alina's dad entering as well. "She had called me. She said she needed my help. I called her dad. Where is she?"

"So you flew all the way from Delhi?" I asked, shocked by his behavior.

"I had to," He replied anxiously. "She was crying. And she never calls me. Something must be serious."

"Kabir, what happened to her?" Her dad asked, tension covering his whole face.

Ruin him.

Your dad has connections. My dad has connections.

Ruin him.

Gulping, I stared back at Kriti, who seemed off, mostly not liking the idea of having strangers in her apartment.

"Kriti, my and Alina's dad." She nodded slightly, waiting for me to continue. "Can you go to Alina's room? She might get scared not finding me there."

She nodded, stroll to the opposite room and closed the door.

"What are you doing here, Kabir?" Her dad asked me. "What were you doing in her room at this hour?" He advanced towards me, but I stepped back quickly.

Dad caught his arm and told me to explain. He too didn't like the thought of finding me in Alina's apartment at this hour. Who would?

And I explained them. Explained what happened from the tid and bits I was aware of.

Her dad sank on the sofa. "Who was he?" He barked, making me flinch.

"That's why she called me," Dad mumbled, running his hand through his hair. "Shekar-"

"I told you to protect her," He hissed at me. "I told you she was innocent. She doesn't see the bad intentions of others!" Guilt swarm further. No excuse of mine could be explained in this position. I should've been there for her, should've known that her working late after the college ends weren't good. But I had hoped she would feel comfortable in the library, between the books she admired. "She's going back to Delhi, today and now. I had enough of this nonsense."

Before I could explain further, the door creaked behind me and I tensed. Turning, I found Alina coming out of the room. Her confusion was replaced by the scared expression marking her face.

"Papa," She whispered. "What are you doing here?"

"Let me guess." Her father looked at her, his gaze halting on her lip cut. "You call Arnav but not me. I'm your father!" She flinched at his harsh tone.

"Uncle, she's getting scared," I interrupted.

"Why didn't you call me?" He demanded, but his tone had turned a bit soft. "If someone assaults you, then you call your father!"

Helplessly, she looked at me.

"I called you." She slipped her gaze to him. "You didn't care."

"What? When?"