Chapter 35 : Chest

Start from the beginning

- "You didn't ask her out!?"

- "Of course not!"

- "Why not!?"

- "Because, she just told us about her dead girlfriend, I wasn't going to invite her the day after," Max explained with her voice down.

- "You didn't try anything!?"

- "No! I don't even know how to flirt with a girl, do you know how to flirt with a girl?"

- "No, but Jane probably knows."

- "I won't ask the girl I want to flirt with how to flirt with her! It doesn't make sense!"

- "I know! I just wanted you to understand that I was useless for this," Bev explained. "How was she?"

- "Sad," sighed Max. "And...lost."

- "It's normal, but she will be better, don't worry. Give her some time."

- "Said the girl who wanted me to ask her out," Max joked.

- "A miracle could have happened!" Beverly chuckled.

Max gently pushed her friend before taking her books from her locker. A bit farther in the hall, Jane was arriving to her locker, placing her crutch against it. When she opened it, the nightmare of the papers came back. She crouched on her left leg and picked them up. What was written on them was worse than she imagined. « Those boys were heroes, you and your monster girlfriend deserved it! », « You should have died too! », « Eradicate the vermin! », « Your girlfriend was a slut, she got what she deserved! », « I'll rape you to finish their work! », « You're dead! », and more. She began to feel dizzy, like if the ground was disappearing under her. She tensed her hands on the papers with an angry breathing. How could people call those rapists and killers, heroes!? It was insane! She just lost more faith in humanity.

- "Hey Jane," Lucas greeted, placing his hand on his friend's shoulder.

The young girl turned her head and met his eyes. The young boy had seen what she had in her hands and decided to intervene.

- "Give me that, I'll take care of it," Lucas told with a soft smile.

Jane had a last look to the papers before holding them out to her friend.

- "Don't read them, please," Jane said.

Lucas took them, nodded, and put them in his bag. Jane was feeling ashamed. No matter what, people would hate her for who she was. She didn't know what to do to stop all of this, to finally live peacefully. It was a never ended war.

- "Did Max gave you the paper? For Mechanics ?" Lucas asked.

- "Um, yeah," Jane answered.

- "He forgot to give it to us on class. I put notes on it, did you see it?"

- "Yeah, we tried to decipher it."

- "Decipher?" Lucas frowned.

- "You have an horrible handwriting," Jane calmly stated.

- "Max has an horrible influence on you," Lucas joked with a serious tone.

Jane had a small smirk and bit her bottom lip on her right. Lucas chuckled to show he was joking, but Jane didn't laugh more, the smirk was the best she could do. They were joined by Dustin, wrapping his arms around them to salute them, and the two girls, Bev and Max. While the others were talking, Jane and Max were in a deep exchange of looks. The redhead moved from between Lucas and Beverly to between Lucas and Jane, wanting to talk to the girl. As the three others began a debate about their English's exercise, she was alone with Jane.