T H I R T Y - S I X : F A T H E R F I G U R E

A/N: This chapter is a short one since it's like a filler but it's still just as important. ^_^

———
T H I R T Y - S I X : F A T H E R  F I G U R E

As I stand outside the church I'd once despised nearly a year ago, I can't help but get a sense of nostalgia as I cross the church gates threshold.

"Well this place brings back some memories," Dante smirks down at me and I roll my eyes.

The last time we were here together was when I learned of who I truly was and who my parents were. Dante also had learned of Merlin and his parents betrayal when his memories of me were taken away as a child. I'd ended up being kidnapped by mercenaries my brother had hired and Dante had to save me. But those things aren't what's running through my mind right now.

When I look up at Dante, I know he's thinking of the same thing. Our little moment we had on one of the church pews was one of the hottest things I'd ever done. Of course now I've done much more but at the time, Dante was doing things to me that were changing me into the now confident woman I am today.

I look up at the large double doors as we walk closer and I can feel my nerves taking over. I haven't come to see Father Samuel since I've returned but I've been preoccupied with getting my memories back, getting shot, and recovering. Plus finding out who hired to shoot me, I just haven't had the time. As far as Father Samuel knows, I'm still dead.

I open the double doors and walk in. I spot him right away standing near the alter talking with a couple. They thank him with a smile and walk towards me to leave the church. Father Samuel looks after them to watch them leave and that's when he sees me. I continue to walk up to him and his eyes go wide.

"Katarina..." he whispers as I approach him.

I smile up at him and gently grab his hands. I nod my head and run my thumbs over his hands, soothing him. He looks up at Dante with confusion.

"How could this be? You died. I performed your service and watched them bury your coffin in the ground," he mutters and I lead him to the closest pew to sit down.

"Well I'm here. It's a long story," I begin to explain everything to him. From Jason faking our deaths and stealing my memories, to me becoming the 'Black Cat' and running into Dante by chance that night at Club Neon.

"My word this is a lot to take in. I can't believe it. So you've been alive this whole time?" he asks and I can see tears start to form in his eyes.

"Yes I have," I give him a sympathetic smile and he catches me off guard when he wraps his arms around me into a trembling hug.

I return the gesture and have missed this man's embrace. He could always make me feel happiness with just a hug. I open my eyes and watch Dante as he slowly walks around the perimeter of the church. He's giving me my space with Father Samuel and I appreciate it. I'm sure he's also a bit paranoid right now and is wanting to keep an eye out for any surprises like we got the last time we were here. I know he's on edge right now because of the church wards and he's considered defenseless right now.

As if he can sense me looking at him, Dante looks up and smiles at me. I return his smile as I sit back up and continue talking with Father Samuel.

"Father Samuel, I'm not just here to surprise you with the fact I'm still alive, but I'm here for something else very important. You see, Dante and I," I smile and look down at my hand. Father Samuel's gaze follows mine and he gasps.