P R O L O G U E : T H E A R T O F W A R

A/N: This prologue was added after I had already started writing the story. So for #rr, sorry, here it is and if you're a #ftr, welcome! Enjoy!

Also the POV is from someone new in this book, he'll be brought up much later into the story

Remember to vote & comment <3

———
P R O L O G U E : T H E  A R T  O F  W A R

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power—Abraham Lincoln

D A M I E N

Those insolent decrepit fools—how could they still not grant me what I've wanted, no, what I've earned after all these years?

Twenty-two years ago I set everything in motion. I handed them the evidence on a silver fucking platter and yet I'm the one who's still considered incompetent?

Sure, the outcome didn't turn out according to plan but damn I can only work with what I have.

Back then, I had a power hungry imbecile, a poor excuse of a being, who was willing to put his very soul on the line to move up into the ranks of magical power. Disgusting.

They're all disgusting.

Warlocks.

Demons.

Vampires.

Werewolves.

Hell, even Jinns.

However they do come in handy on occasion, which is why we keep a few down in the basement.

We keep all of the ones we need from each species down in the basement. They all serve their purpose deep down—but only if it benefits me.

Which is why I'm back to square one and sought out another imbecile to do my bidding.

This time, I went younger, much younger.

He was much easier to persuade and plant doubt into his already dark soul. Take a young man who's destroyed inside and out, you've got yourself a broken soul who's just looking for a source to simply fix what he cannot himself. Whether it's guidance, promises, or even a damn father figure in his life—he's yours for the taking.

Weakness in others—is my own personal gain.

When I planted the seed, it was easy. However, I didn't expect for him to figure out that he could become strong and powerful all on his own. That he no longer needed me.

That was something I didn't foresee.

Doesn't matter. I still have plenty of pieces on the board to get to the outcome I want.

Checkmate. For all of the Underworld.

Now the brat has gone missing along with her.

You can play dead all you want but you can't fool me. I've got eyes and ears everywhere.

I begin to pace back and forth in front of the floor to ceiling window on the top level of the skyscraper that overlooks all of New York. When I stop mid stride and glance down at the tiny insects below, walking around without a care in the word, I furrow my brows and click my tongue.

Those ridiculous humans. If only you knew what really was going on in this world. Knew what people like me did daily to insure your precious safety for your meaningless lives.

I turn in place and glance up at the large painting on the wall behind my mahogany desk.

The gallant Archangel Michael and his majestic sword. I smirk as I narrow in on the tip of the sword puncturing the disgusting excuse of a demon.

As it should be.

Why do we let them live in peace again? Any of them.

Why Michael, when you had the chance to annihilate them all, did you not do it?

It's because of that damn prophecy.

A prophecy I've spent twenty-five years trying to circumvent.

I knew the day she feel in love with him, the prophecy was already being set in motion.

Now, present day, and the outcome of that abomination of a relationship is threatening my plans.

But like I said, I've got plenty of pieces left on the board. Now it's time to set in motion the move that will put my opponent at quite a disadvantage.

Zugzwang.

No matter which way they move, no matter how much they try to avoid it, the outcome will never be in their favor.

If I can't stop this prophecy from coming true, then I might as well use it to my advantage.

Now it's just a matter of patience, which I have plenty of.

The double doors to my office spring open and a familiar face barges through. Ahh, yes—one I can always count on.

One of my two children that didn't turn out to be a complete disappointment stands before me. However, he knows better. After all, he was there the night his sister died.

Little does he know, it was by my orders.

I hated having to do it but she left me no choice. She disobeyed me, she disobeyed her orders, and she disobeyed the cause.

"Father."

"Son. Is everything in order?" I turn back towards the city landscape.

"Yes but I must speak with you regarding my—"

"Nonsense. Whatever it is can wait. It's not important," I look over my shoulder at him with disdain before returning my gaze towards the multiple skyscrapers that swallow this city whole.

Yes it's unfortunate what happened to him and his family but it's not my concern. It does nothing for the cause. In war, there are casualties.

When I turn back around to face my only son, I notice a hint of revulsion in his blue eyes.

Good. Use that son. Even if that hate is for me, use it. It'll only make you stronger.

At one time I saw that same look in her eyes and because of that hate—she was once one of the greatest assassins of our time.

As I continue to look down at my son, I notice his eyes soften as he clears his throat and stands tall with pride.

"Very well father, I shall continue on with the plan. In time, everything will be set in motion," he bows his head and turns to make his way towards the door.

"Son."

"Yes father?" he turns his head to look over his shoulder at me.

"When your time comes to fulfill your part in all of this, don't disgrace this family. Don't disgrace our name like your sister did."

"I won't." With those final words, he leaves my office with a subtle click of the door.

The prophecy is inevitable no doubt but that doesn't mean it can't work in my favor.

Now I must fulfill my own destiny. A destiny where I reign over all—even if I have to burn the whole world down in the process.

That is, the art of war.