Chapter 15

Elijah lounged in the splendour of the Central World Agencies presidential desk with a deepening, satisfied smile that spread across his perfect features. His crossed legs rested upon the large mahogany desk before him, a desk that had seated over 66 American presidents before him, all of their memories now crushed underneath his ultimate reign of the educated society. He soaked up the views televised to him through holographic 3D screens just above the desk. The pathetic home to millions of faithful, thousands upon thousands of years of secrets, and ancient locked away scripture were now turned to ashes under the glory of man’s technology.

The way humans were so fascinated with the possibility of their own destruction was one of the main endearing traits to their species. They were so quick to blame themselves, and each other when the world began to turn in on itself.

Elijah took a deep breath, noticing the smell of sulphur and the distinct scent of what could only be described as the stench of a wild goat.

“So pleased you came to visit Azazel.” He welcomed the ancient demon with a smile before indicating to the seat in front of his table.

“Please, take a seat and watch the festivities with me.” The demon paused, thousands of years must have born in the old beast a degree of patience.

“What in rat’s ass are you trying to pull you desiccated scrotum sack.” The beast growled as he smashed the chair aside, the wood flung into the wall shattering into pieces. Luckily he had instructed the security team never to enter his room before his signal, he knew Azazel would require some training.

“I see you’ve been studying English, well done old friend, but please, promise me you’ll keep learning, okay?” The beast glared at him, still awaiting an answer.

“I told you I’d be destroying that disgusting city.” Elijah spat, remembering all the curses he suffered from their constant irritation.

“I was destroying it!” Azazel growled.

“Oh, if I had to wait for you we’d be waiting for weeks. Things have changed over the last few thousand years. The humans have decided to use their little brains to manipulate the designs of this world to their own ends. It’s really quite amazing.” Elijah continued as he watched the remains of the mushroom clouds drift through the atmosphere from the satellites that were beaming him the live footage.

“There was an angel in Rome, I saw him.” Azazel grabbed the other chair and awkwardly sat in it, the chair slowly creaking underneath the beast’s weight. Elijah nearly exploded with laughter as he watched the old demon uncomfortably shift in the comparably small, leather bound chair. Such a sight he thought he would never see, this creature that had sat upon mountains of gold and had been worshiped amongst a world of people only a couple of thousand years before.

“My son told me there was an angel on earth. I need to catch that annoying little creature, it would give me much sway with the old fossil” Azazel snorted in contempt.

“Hey, don’t forget I talked you free from that disjointed carcass of a god. He has his uses, when played right.”

“He does nothing, for all that is done in his name, the old goat’s ass.” Azazel mumbled.

“Really Azazel, leave the obscenities alone until you’re better at them.” Elijah criticized, wondering if the half goat half man didn’t realise the implications of his own statement. 

“So, what now?” Azazel muttered as he picked at his wiry matted hair spilling over his chest.

“Now we wait. The fifth seal will be broken soon now that I have killed so many of their followers. We shall continue to slay anyone who dares to follow that pathetic fossils son.”