Chapter 21

Raphael stopped when he reached the base of the mountain path that led up to his castle Hale’iel. Rows upon rows of angels from his choir stood guard before the winding path.

Geladriel, one of his Fuga’s approached him as Raphael formed his body around his still ethereal soul before them.

“Arch, not a single soul has gotten past us. The entire mountain is watched too. They shall not breach the castle.” Raphael nodded in appreciation. He desperately wanted to check on Le’theril, but if he entered Hale’iel now it would seem as if he didn’t trust Geladriel’s words, and there was an entire city of souls under threat.

“Stay vigilant Fuga, I will not allow a single tainted soul to enter into my palace.” Raphael demanded, his fiery stare ensuring how significantly important he felt his command.

“Yes Arch,” Geladriel replied as he returned to the other angels and began giving more orders.

Good, at least it would be safe here. Raphael considered shimmering to the centre of the city, but there was too much risk; instead he began running towards the city and prayed to the Lord that all the residents would remain safely inside whilst his Choir hunted the shadow demons.

The garden like natural dwellings grew larger as Raphael approached, and before he knew it, he was inside the city. Beautiful twisting paths led off from the main road to wander around the buildings. Each spire was covered in beautiful designs and artwork dedicated to the glory of Lord the father. The ground covered in a mat of green grass was littered with fresh blue and orange petals from the flowers that had bloomed for the day. Large over bearing trees towered over houses as raised pathways ran along their trunks, connecting to neighbouring dwellings. Even now as he ran through the city, Raphael couldn’t help but marvel at his own designs.

He noticed the residents staring out of open framed windows and peeking through semi closed doors, hoping to discover what was happening. He couldn’t blame them for their curiosity, but he prayed that they would conceal themselves more whole heartedly once danger drew closer.

Rakael appeared as he rushed further and further into the city.

“Have we found them?” He asked, praying for a positive answer, but receiving a shake of the head instead.

“No one has been attacked, we’re not even sure if they are in the city Arch.” His shield bearer replied. Raphael wasn’t annoyed, he never got annoyed, or o he told himself.

“What? Where else would they go?” He wondered to himself more than asking his Shield Bearer.

“We were hoping you might have an idea Arch.” Rakael answered anyway as he kept pace with Raphael’s racing speed.

Raphael’s mind was cycling through thousands of possibilities as he ticked off potential targets, their difficulty in assailing and the damage that could be caused by their demise. It just didn’t make sense for them to avoid attacking the largest, mostly undefended city of souls.

“Arch?” Rakael pressed. For the first time in Raphael’s existence, he didn’t have an answer. Nothing came to mind, there was no other target he could think of, and every alternative that ran through his mind all resulted in the shadow demons, immediate deaths with nothing to show for it. Raphael stopped and faced Rakael who now watched him quizzically.

“Surround the city, I want every exit guarded. Go find my brothers, bring them here to me and ask them to bring as much of their choir as they can spare. We need to search every single inch of this city. They have to be in here. They will hide, and systematically rape and pillage every soul within this kingdom, one by one, until every soul is scared of the other, the will reshape these souls to mirror the ones remaining on Earth, scared of every living soul that is not their own.” Rakael nodded as he listened to Raphael’s command, surely memorising each word to repeat to his brothers. He shimmered away as soon as Raphael had finished, not wanting to waste a single moment. Raphael looked over his city, its residents, all here under his protection.