Chapter 3

Ben woke in a cold sweat. His body seemed moulded into the soaked sheets causing them to claw at him as he ripped himself from them in a wild haze. The last vision of his wife breaking apart in a blazing golden haze of light followed him into reality, as did his scream.

Gasping for breath Ben felt his heart thundering in his chest and with it rumbled the sickness in his stomach. His throat opened with a  wretching grasp, tasting the bile that rose up within Ben heard all that escaped was a disgusting roar. Ben realised he hadn’t eaten in two days. It should be a natural instinct and yet it seemed far too unnatural now, almost inhumane. Did he have the right to eat whilst others starved?

“You’re going to die.” Startled, Ben frantically spun around looking for where the voice had come from. He could see no one in his room. Was he still dreaming? He didn’t feel as if he were asleep.

“You can’t die yet.” Again it sounded in his head. Wait, it was in his head?

“Am I insane?” Ben asked, truly expecting he would answer himself. A shining silver light suddenly basked the room in its power and faded to leave Ben squinting in the darkness. He looked upon a beautiful womanly figure standing before him. It wore nothing but a thin white robe that could be clearly seen through, however, there nothing to see.

“Who are you?” Ben asked as he sat up on the bed to face his new guest.

“I am a messenger. I have come to warn the prophet. You are going to die.” The deep, melodic voice seemed to calm Ben down even as his hackles rose at the news this messenger had brought him.

“Thanks for stating the obvious, can you make it quick? I’d prefer death to be swift if you don’t mind.”The stunning creature nodded solemnly as he listened to Ben. It’s cascading black hair ran over the creatures body in oiled waves of locks flowing over its pale womanly features. If Ben could use one word to describe what stood before him, it would be angelic. He would be happy to end his life here. Perhaps he would be lucky enough to join his family.

“You misunderstand. You cannot die, not yet. My Arch has told me to warn you. You will die if you stay with Eijah. You must escape him. Go, Go to find the child.”

“That’s why I’m with Elijah! I can’t find a child, who I don’t even know is born yet, with no resources. The man has every known database in the world at his fingertips! I need him.” The creature looked dejected at his reply. It vanished just before Andrew stormed in, pistol in hand. For a second, Ben knew a moment of panic as the pistol pointed at him. Would Andrew shoot him in a rush of adrenaline?

“Were you just screaming before?” He asked as he clicked the safety on and placed the gun down.

“Really Andrew, a gun?” He looked apprehensive as he placed it down on the desk opposite the bed.

“Never know when it could come in handy.” Ben didn’t realise he had kept holding his breath until he let out a sigh as Andrew left it at the desk.

“It seems I’m scheduled to die soon.” Ben said casually as Andrew sat on the other end of the bed. He kept his gaze down, knowing his bright green eyes would be more striking that normal in the dark. His black fringe cascaded over his brow down to his cheeks.

“We’re all going to die soon Ben.”

“Indeed, yet I have been signalled out. It would seem that I am going to die if we go back to Elijah tomorrow.”

“Should I ask how you know this Ben?” Ben shook his head and looked at his friend. They had been through so much, but surely there was a limit to the faith they had in one another.

“Okay, let me organise a way out of here. Perhaps it’s wise for us to talk to Jason?” Ben’s heart stopped as the name fought to raise memories he had desperately tried to hold down.

“You think my wife’s brother still alive?”

“He was according to the email I got from him last night.”

“How the hell did he manage to send an email?” Ben Sputtered. The man was part of the ‘H7’ movement. They had refused to accept the Central World Agencies government. They joined the terrorist group who promised to find life outside of their rule, outside of technology, society, business, finance and anything else that represented life in this day and age. His wife had wanted to join them all those years ago. Ben had stopped them from leaving. If it wasn’t for Andrew’s resources, and Ben’s acquiescence in taking the citizens chip, they would have never been able to provide for themselves.

“The damn fool didn’t know your email address though.” Andrew said as he got up and walked back to the gun.

“Maybe he did.” Ben had a sinking feeling, something, somewhere was terribly wrong.

“You think they’re intercepting all your mail?” Andrew asked, looking at the gun as if he had any idea how to use it.

“Would you?”

“Good point. They probably have tried to intercept mine, but that would take even them quite some time. Having your own server network directly linked into their systems in China working as a firewall has its advantages.” Ben looked at him unsure of what that meant, even as he realised the man had tried to dumb it down for him.

“So where is he?” Andrew gave him a look he knew all too well. He had no idea.

“Well, it will take me a bit of digging around. They aren’t exactly your local reading club.” Damn, he really did have no idea. They needed Jason, or at least a contact into H7. They were the only people who seemed to know how to live outside of society, outside of the control of Elijah, and the Central World Agency.

“Don’t worry about it Ben. Just get ready, we need to get out of here soon if we’re going to get a jump on the security team they have monitoring the building.

“Damn computers, there’s no way out of here without them knowing.” Ben complained. Andrew’s bright green eyes captured him in his gaze as he gave him that all knowing smirk. Ben suddenly knew they already had a way out of here, and it would be untraceable.

***

“Did you warn the prophet?” The angel seemed to tremble against Raphael’s thunderous voice. He supposed he could try to tone down his power, but that took too much effort. Raphael lounged against the tree of wisdom as he watched the waters of the golden river Sie’l del flow down to fill the tranquil lake Scion. The gentle breeze seemed to join the river’s passion in heading towards to Angelic realm of Father’s Angels.

“I gave him the warning Arch, he seemed to welcome the thought of death.”

“They always do. He will listen though. Humans are always concerned with self-preservation.”

“Is it necessary he survive Arch? I mean, was it wise to interfere?” Raphael wasn’t annoyed, he didn’t get annoyed. He simply did not see the need for reservations from his own choir. The sudden attention he gave to angel Rakael seemed to express his sudden acknowledgement of Rakael’s uncertainty. The angel meant to speak, but his reasons did not concern Raphael. His sigh quickly silencing Rakael’s reasoning.

“My brothers seem to think he is, expendable. They truly do not understand the potential Father has given this one. He cannot be allowed to fall into enemy hands. I shall end his life before he gives that treacherous snake the key to the gates of heaven.”

“Arch?” Rakael questioned. He didn’t need to know this. Raphael wondered why he had even considered it worth voicing his brothers’ opinions to his follower. It wasn’t necessary for him to know. He dismissed the Angel from his presence with a wave and focussed his attention back to the river. Knowledge, truly it is a failed gift without the gift of wisdom. However, was wisdom a gift of experience or simply further knowledge? Raphael’s heart warmed as he found another topic he would love to discuss with Father.