Chapter 23

Rakael had finished running around delivering orders to the Fuga’s that had all converged on the soul filled city of Lest’eriel. They had considered evacuating the city, but there was nowhere to house over three billion souls. They could be leading them out to a slaughter if they had evacuated them all, they were still confused and getting used to their new surroundings, the last thing they needed to do is spread mass panic throughout the city.

Arch Gabriel and Arch Uriel had lent nearly five songs each of their own angels. Along with nearly all Arch Raphael’s choir and a song of Michael’s battle hardened soldiers. They were now systematically searching every dwelling of the city in the hope of flushing the demons out of hiding.

He had wanted to talk to Arch Raphael about the defence of his palace, but he seemed distracted by the frantic search. It seemed to Rakael that Raum had already slid a knife into Raphael’s confidence, a small stab in the back that had him circling in fear and confusion. He had wanted to ask Arch Uriel about it, yet it seemed the Arch was always shadowed by some of the Arch Gabriel's followers, it made him infinitely more nervous. Brothers had begun to suspect brothers, and it seemed the Father of Lies was spreading his influence far beyond the human’s realm. He wondered if such a thing were even possible or if it were just his own mind, now plagued with its own doubt.

He stood at the far end of the city closest to Hale’iel, just inside the now closed gates and watched as messengers shimmered back and forth, relaying him messages of more sectors cleared. His orders had been to oversee and co-ordinate the search, a task he had taken on without a second thought, however, he wondered why Raphael himself had stayed to search with the angels surely he had higher tasks to complete, especially with the sixth seal so close to being released.

As if summoned by his thought, a glowing forest tinged Ophanim suddenly appeared behind him. He could sense its thousands of eyes against his back as the strange wheels turned within other wheels surrounding its glowing soul in the centre of its cage.

“The Arches’ have been summoned. The lamb is preparing the breaking of the next seal.” The Ophanim sent its thoughts into Rakael’s awareness, a strange sensation that he would never adjust to. It was as if his mind had been hijacked and was speaking to him, creating a sense of separation from his own mind that fractured his ideas of consciousness. Rakael nodded in acknowledgement and was grateful when the wise one shimmered back to inform the others. The powers obviously knew what had happened here, the Ophanim had clearly judged shimmering into the city and advising the Arch himself, not worth the risk. It was now left to him to take on the risk, oh how wise they are.

Rakael released his soul, tearing his physical representation apart and thrust his soul deep into the city. In his essence, he could feel the concern and fear of millions of souls as he soared past their new homes, but he didn’t feel any hate. No anger or sorrow, nothing that could indicate the demons nearby. Recognising the powerful aura of his Arch’s soul Rakael focused his soul and shimmered just meters before him.

“Arch, they have called you to help with the next seal.”Rakael announced as he moved closer.

“I see,” he replied without a hint of emotion or surprise. It was strangely comforting to have him acting like himself once again.

“Your brother Michael?” Rakael asked, wondering if he should organise the gates to be reopened.

“Will be there. There is more than one way into this plane.”The Arch replied before Rakael could voice any suggestions.

“Yes Arch,” Rakael replied.

“If these intruders are not found by the time we are finished. I want you to go to Terahn, take a song with you. You will speak with Leviathan, she will sense where they hide, but Rakael, speak with her alone.”Rakael shuddered at the thought of speaking with the mistress of sight, one of the ancient beasts that held the power over the raw elements. Rakael felt a sudden urgency in discovering the hiding places of the handful of demons that eluded them.