Chapter 44

As Andrew looked up into those eyes of madness, his heart sunk. It was over! Why was Raphael doing this now after all that had happened? As his vision began to blur, the realisation that he would die if he didn’t act sank in. Fear rose up inside him and his sudden release of that fear through the release of his soul shocked everyone as flames once more surrounded his body. He noticed Ben, Abigail and Marcus jump back, terrified of being burnt alive as they had witnessed so many of their other comrades suffer.

The sudden release gave him enough strength to wrestle free of Raphael’s bony grasp, rolling out of the way as he stumbled to his feet. As his felt the power flowing around him, he could feel his body withering under the constant strain, his skin cracked and burnt, waves of energy began to break against his already tired and beaten body. He fought against that tantalising power until the flames faded once more to reside within his soul.

He gasped for air. Cold, clean air, which filled his lungs, sending life back into his blood as he felt the pressure against his neck subsiding. Abigail rushed to him, as did Marcus as they quickly tried to pull him clear of the crazed angel.

“What are you doing!’ Ben cried. “Are you crazy! He just saved your life!”

The words seemed to fall on deaf ears as Raphael looked down at his own hands, lost in thought. He began whispering to himself, the words indistinctive.

Andrew turned to his friend as he began moving closer. He reached a hand out as if to try and grab Ben.

“No Ben don’t! There’s something wrong,” he warned.

“Clearly!’ Ben snapped, but thankfully didn’t get any closer to the Angel. Andrew looked towards his mother and saw the pure terror in her eyes as she watched Raphael, like a deer caught in headlights, she was horrified at what stood before her, and yet she couldn’t bear to look away.

“Die!’ Raphael bellowed. “We all must die! It must be undone!” He continued as he tried to get to his feet but faltered and fell back to his knees.

“Damn it, what’s wrong with him?” Marcus asked as he gathered Diana, Kyung, Sarah and her child standing before them protectively.

“How am I supposed to know?” Andrew answered. “Let’s just get the hell out of here.” He added as he gratefully accepted Abigail’s embrace to help him move.

“Are you kidding me? Who knows what’s out there!” Sarah retorted. Then they all jumped as Raphael roared, like a wild beast, the sound shaking the cavern and the ground beneath them.

“Ok let’s go,” Sarah added as they raced out together leaving Raphael on his knees, his hands holding his head as he began ranting wildly. The group ran up the rocky stairs and through dark passageways into open large caves. The climbed onto rocks to find a way out, constantly moving higher and higher. Andrew was exhausted and was quickly moved between the group as they all helped each other escape, encouraging each other to keep pressing forward. The fear that began to build in the team grew as the ranting grew louder, agonising screams ripped through the caverns shaking the walls and ground as they ran onwards. Andrew wanted to hold his Mother and comfort her as tears fell down her face while they ran. She hadn’t said a word, but he knew that she had seen something earlier that all of them had missed, and it had devastated her.