Chapter 29

Uriel waited impatiently on the cliff face that was Raphael’s throne room, glaring at the marbled walls of the palace as if he could bring his brother forth through will alone. He hoped his warning had gotten through to his brother, but it was impossible to know. Uriel had managed to save Geladriel’s life, and after recreating the angel’s arm, he found out how the defenders were taken by surprise. The demons were somehow able to mask their presence both physically and spiritually, they had been able to hide within the small shadows within the folds of the angels’ clothing and attacked the song using their own comrades as shields. The demons struck fast and hard, utterly destroying the defenders in a wave of confusion.

Uriel had hoped that the weight of his soul over Raphael’s palace was enough to affect any demon that might have been hiding behind him, but now he could only wait. Everyone knew the deviations that awaited them should they enter the palace, Raphael had always been open and honest about them, and in this case, it seemed his devious mind might once again save the day, Uriel hoped.

Reigning in his anxiety, Uriel walked towards the cliff face that walled the throne room of Raphael’s palace. He looked over the cliff face to the luscious garden city below. Lest’eriel was another remarkable creation, and in some ways, Uriel found it more beautiful than the golden domed city of Zion. He could see angels pouring over the city like a swarm of ants rushing out of their hive to offer protection. The mighty task was over three quarters complete now. Uriel knew however, that they would find nothing. It fell to Raphael and his palace to eliminate the remaining demons, and himself, if Raphael would just return to the throne room.

A surge of energy whipped against Uriel as if a sudden cyclone had appeared behind him, and he nearly slipped over the edge of the cliff from the sudden wave of pressure. Uriel could feel his brother’s soul, and it was on a level he had never felt before. The whole palace glowed with light, and a single scream bellowed out, echoing across the mountainside. Uriel felt the pain that rode that scream and a chilled dread sank into his heart as his mind began haunting him with nightmares. As soon as it had started, it stopped, and the sudden silence that followed was worse than any scream. What happened? Was Raphael okay? Was that the last flaring rage of his death? Did they just lose another brother to this never ending war?

“Raphael!” He bellowed and raced to the palace’s door, no longer able to wait outside whilst his brother could be dying inside his own palace.

He entered the vast, waiting room with emerald pillars running down each side of the room, its roof covered with golden etchings of prayers and old spells for calming. Despite the desperate fear that tore at his heart, Uriel couldn’t help but be eased by the effects of those prayers. He still hurried towards the large wooden door at the end of the vast waiting room and entered a hallway. It ran in what seemed a circle around the inside of the palace. Looking down each corridor, Uriel decided on the left path and continued down it calling out to his brother whilst opening the door to each room carefully before searching for Raphael.

One door opened into a large dining room with doors littered on each wall. Uriel sighed as he stepped through into the room, this was not going to be easy. Deciding it safer to return to the hall, he opened the door which had closed behind him to reveal a solid wall. No hallway, no room, just a wall. This was ridiculous. Why couldn’t anything be easy? He released his soul to shimmer back to the throne room. As his physical form dissolved and his spectral soul began moving to pass through the walls, he saw a flare of bright green flames cover the walls of the room, the power that licked off from the edge of the fires lashed out at his soul, tearing it to shreds as Uriel screamed in pain. Damn Raphael and his crazy palace! He tried to release himself back into the room but found he couldn’t for some reason. Looking below, he saw symbols carved in the floor flooded with the green flames and the same covering the roof. Uriel’s heart sank as he read the symbols. They were spells for soul entrapment.