Chapter 22

Sarah just wanted to die. Her stomach swirled in nauseous trembles of sickness. Her throat burned as she heaved and spluttered at each dry reach, her stomach now well and truly empty. The water the old lady gave her just increased her nausea and helped sharpen the pains in her throat. Beyond that, between her legs still throbbed in pain, it was as if she could feel every pulse of blood pounding inside her. She was sure there was permanent damage, those sick bastards had laughed at her while she desperately screamed in anger, battering them away uselessly with all her might. The memories burnt into her eyelids at every blink.

She heard the adults babbling, some new argument about their creepy friend. Good riddance, she didn’t like him anyway, his eyes weren’t normal. Just like the eyes of those men weren’t normal as they had raped her days before, the thought brought a new taste of bile to her mouth as she gagged once more. A small hand began rubbing her back, and she turned to face Kyung. The poor child, she couldn’t have been more than thirteen, and she had gone through exactly the same thing as her. She had barely spoken since they had first whispered desperately to each other the night they had been taken off the streets, bound and gagged like pieces of meat and tossed into, well something. She couldn’t die here, not yet, she was all Kyung had now. She had to stay strong, for her. She nodded to her and tried a smile, hoping the girl would see it as thanks. Strangely she smiled back, an unspoken acceptance of their sisterhood.

“We can’t stay here.” She heard the old man complaining, always complaining. Why couldn’t he just be quiet?

“He told us to wait here if he disappeared remember, he said he’d be back. I’m sure he will return,” Abigail replied.

“Have you not listened to a word I’ve said? It’s not Andrew, he’s not human! I don’t know what’s come back, maybe a demon sent to keep watch and wait till we’ve found the child. This is our perfect chance. We need to get out of here now!” The old man yelled as he tried to convince them to move.

“We have nowhere to go Ben. Do you want us walking aimlessly around out there?” The old woman waved to the door wildly.

“And what happens when that monster out there finds us, or its friends? We’re as good as dead out there, we might as well stay and wait, at least Andrew, or whatever it is, saved us back there.” She declared. Sarah tended to agree. Better to deal with the devil you know, than the devil you don’t. She had learnt that the hard way when she had been kidnapped and raped.

“That’s only because he needs us to find the child.” The old man’s face now blowing red as his blood pressure was surely hitting the roof.

“Good! Then let him protect us, and we can deal with him whenever you decide to start talking to God for once! Some priest you are.” Abigail spat out, the words seemed to shut the man up, but it was only for a second.

“I’m not a priest!” The man yelled.

“Shut up!” Sarah screamed, unable to take it anymore. Their pathetic argument was giving her a headache.

“We’re dead outside, we’re dead if we stay here, but if you two don’t shut up everything in ears shot will be racing here to kill us all.” She declared, trying to control herself as she shook uncontrollably.