Chapter 37

It was unbelievable. Sarah couldn’t fathom how it had happened, but over the past couple of weeks she had somehow become heavily pregnant. Abigail told her she was nearly due, but how she could have developed so quickly was a mystery to everyone. Sarah knew though, just as she knew how every scar and ache and pain in her body had been healed. She hadn’t approached Andrew about it, she didn’t know what to say. Should she be thanking him? Did it even matter when all he did was buy her some time? They were all going to die, roasted to a crisp with God’s wrath, mutilated by a roaming demon, starving to death as they ran out of food. How didn’t matter anymore, the end result was the same.

As she lay in the bunker like dorm on a thin layered mattress, she stared out of the room beyond the hallway to watch shadows of people walk past as they went about whatever chore they had been given. Nothing mattered anymore, and it seemed people fell into the routine of doing insignificant chores and tasks. Busying themselves so they had no time to think. No time for the despair of their situation creep in and destroy what little hope they had left.

Sarah heard her stomach growl, and noticed Kyung glance at her from the bed beside hers. The little girl didn’t say anything, but Sarah knew she was going to get food when she got up and left the room. Despite her mood, Sarah smiled. Kyung was her family now, and she was such an amazing sister. She put up with so much and never asked for anything in return. Thinking back on things, she didn’t think Kyung had really left her side since the first trumpet had sounded. She shuddered to herself as haunting memories threatened to overwhelm her. Despite her doubts, she prayed the next one was like the second that had sounded a few days ago. No one burst into flames, no one dropped dead. She didn’t know what the trumpets meant, but she had heard there would be seven.

Kyung entered the room once more, closely trailed by Abgail, who carried a steel tray. On it sat a bowl of porridge drizzled with honey and an opened tin of tuna. Sarah forced a smile as she laid the tray on the table next to her bed.

“Thank you Abi,” the woman answered her smile with her own as she rested a hand against her cheek.

“How are you feeling hun?” Abigail asked as she stirred the hot porridge.

“Same as usual, I’m fine. Is there any news?” Sarah asked half-heartedly.

“Andrew confirmed the second trumpet killed much of the sea life. He’s found pods of whales, dolphins and all kinds of fish washed up along the coastlines. The water will go next.” Sarah glanced at the porridge on the table.

“Don’t worry, we’ve already taken to boiling all the water. It might not work, but it’s the best that we can do.”

“Great,” she mumbled as she reached for the bowl. “So we just wait here until we eventually all die.”

Abigail’s glare stopped her first mouthful of porridge, “sorry,” she offered.

“So how’s my beautiful mother to be?” Andrew chimed in as he strolled through the door.

“What do you think?” she replied.

“Still chirpy as always I see.” He replied as he sat on the bed next Kyung.