Chapter 11

Rome had changed since Ben last remembered. Indeed the whole world had changed. Military police patrolled the streets in an attempt to control the rampant looting that mirrored back home. Beautiful old homes now lay in ruins against a backdrop of fire and dark black smoke which clouded the skies. The smell of fear flooded through every breath as they drove through the city, noticing suspicious glances from strangers and cold, hard looks from larger groups of men who had banded together for protection. They had been pulled over three times by the military for ID checks against the I-mans, which they thankfully all passed thanks to Andrew’s software upgrades he had given them after they had landed in the country.

They had spent days holed up in an abandoned apartment while Andrew gathered more information about his mother. The Spartan apartment had begun to feel comfortable as Ben settled into the routine of eating, sleeping and keeping watch for gangs of men or worse, men in suits.

Today was the day, according to Andrew, that they would be able to meet his mother, and Ben was both excited and nervous at the thought of the meeting. Surely this meeting would help him discover more about his mysterious best friend, who, Ben realised, had become continuously more of a mystery to him over the last couple of months. The realisation frustrated him.

“What are we waiting for?” Daniel broke into Ben’s train of thought as he lounged in the only armchair in the living room, just a single pace from the window that looked out to the streets below. He cursed before glaring at him yet the defiant pretty boy didn’t seem to care, Ben sighed.

“If you want to go wondering around the streets below to wait, by all means, be my guest.” Ben replied.

“That’s not very priest like.” Daniel prodded, earning him another glare.

“Abi, can you keep the young one occupied?” Ben asked.

“She won’t need to.” Andrew said striding in from the kitchen. “We are all set and ready to meet my Mother. It’s about time we get out of this dump.” Ben noticed Andrew already had his pack on and had already begun bouncing in the middle of the room like an impatient child.

“Come on people, let’s get ready to go, we only have one hour if this is going to work.” Andrew had clearly organised something, but Ben was going to let the explanation lie for now.

It had only taken ten minutes to get themselves organised and out into the streets. They walked quickly avoiding any large groups of people they could spot. Daniel had found a gun in the apartment earlier, and he had it tucked into his pants for the trip. Ben was sure that he wouldn’t hesitate to use it.

As they rushed through the streets of Rome, Ben couldn’t help but feel sorrow seeing the once beautiful scenes of Rome, now tortured with flames of violence and plumes of smoke. Small armies of men rioted against each other, all shouting in cries of anger against all those who had brought destruction upon their world. Ben’s heart broke as he watched a mother, children in her arms run from a mob of men. He went to help, but Andrew spotted them first and was quick to stop Ben before he could interfere. The look he gave was clear, did he want to die with her.

Ben felt numb as he allowed himself to be dragged down another street, away from the woman and her child. His wooden footsteps seemed to echo on the road as he felt a part of himself die with the woman's terrified screams.

Not long after stumbling down the street Via Merulana the group discovered a military checkpoint just before the road opened to the Basilica Sanctae Mariae Maioris, the largest church in Rome dedicated to the Virgin Mary. Ben had visited the Basilica many times during his study here in Rome. He could see her towering arches and soaring bell tower shining brightly over the apartment blocks that surrounded them.