Chapter 27

Raphael crept through opulent rooms and down vast hallways as he searched his maze like palace, straining all his senses in an effort to find the intruders. Memories of Raum before the fall all those thousands of years ago ran through his mind. Was his knowledge of the angel going to be of any use when dealing with Raum the demon? Raum’s sharp intellect was renown before the fall, and based off his ability so far, it seemed he still held onto his intelligence.  Luckily, Raphael was one of the few considered more intelligent. Raphael was often thought of as the most complex mind ever created, and yet whenever he talked to his Father, he was left reeling with boundless epiphanies.

Despite having the ability to run through thousands of possible scenarios in a second, all Raphael could think about was Le’theril. His every moment was filled with thoughts of her, of millions upon millions of experiences he would share with her. He just couldn’t get her out of his mind. He longed for her at every breath. He would do anything to see her smile as she had earlier.

Raphael tried to push thoughts of his love aside as he peaked through the solid wooden door to the next room, spreading his awareness through the room before proceeding. Despite the sinking feeling that someone had been here just moments before, he sensed nothing. He stepped through the door and entered into his vast library. Books covered every wall as they soared to meet the ceiling over ten metres above him. The marbled floor had strange circular patterns that twirled in on itself like never ending vines seeking the piercing light.

In all the rooms of his Palace, this was Raphael’s most loved. It held his collection of ponderings and possibilities that he had discovered within this world that Father had created. He had wanted to write it all down to help him understand the complexities of this universe, and yet even amongst the tens of thousands of books here, he felt as if he had just scratched the surface.

Raphael scanned the room, deciding to rely on pure vision after concluding that these shadow demons must have some way of concealing the energy of their darkened, polluted soul. They hadn’t thoroughly been able to hide, he could still sense their general presence, but it was more a guttural unsettling feeling born from his instinct as opposed to an identifiable energy source.

In a plane without darkness, one would think that a shadow would be easy to spot, but one would be wrong. He walked down the centre of the huge library, searching each row of book-filled walls. He could feel the sickness of evil in the pit of his stomach everywhere he went, and yet he couldn’t find even a trace of the demons.

A sudden pressure fell on Raphael as if the roof had suddenly dropped onto his shoulders. The pressure of his brother’s focus pounded against his every fibre. He could feel Uriel’s determination within the raw energy that seemed to blanket his palace with the pressure. His brother was sending a clear signal, we know you’re here, and perhaps, Raphael thought, a message to him. ‘I’m on the roof, hurry’. Raphael understood his brother’s reasons, but he couldn’t help but feel annoyed. He could bear with the pressure of his brother’s focus, but Le’theril would not be immune to such attention. She would’ve been forced to the ground, unable to stand under the intense and constant pressure. Despite her discomfort, he could do nothing. It was not time to introduce Uriel to her or their relationship.

Deciding the library was clear, Raphael returned to the same door he had entered knowing that if anyone had entered through any of the other doors, his traps would have been released, and he would’ve felt their deaths. Raphael stepped through the door frame before seeing a gigantic black object flashing towards his head. Raphael rolled under the bastard sword and heard it strike against the door as he summoned one of his double bladed battle axes, already whipping the chain around where he estimated the hilt of the sword to be as he came to his feet.