Chapter 45

Glistening sweat slid off Archangel Michael’s brow and fell to the desolate land below. Where it landed, plants sprouted forth desperately clinging to their new found life. Michael grappled fiercely with Raphael while his brothers Gabriel and Uriel prayed for him. He cast the soul-destroying view below out of his mind and focused on containing Raphael within his grip.

Michael noticed Uriel was struggling with his own focus, distracted by the horrors of sin and death that screamed out to them from the earth. He still couldn’t believe what Raphael had done. He was utterly stupefied as he listened to Gabriel’s reports of his actions during the tribulation period. The sins were listed one after the other Raphael stands accused of sleeping with a human, of providing this human sacred holy artefacts. Of colluding with demons, releasing Azazel, and setting up both attacks on heaven. He has travelled to earth when all angelic beings are banned from human interaction and we believe will try to destroy all life left on earth. The echoing cries still reverberated in Michael’s mind.

Heaven had been attacked again once Raphael had left for heaven. Rakael, his trusted shield bearer, had kept the gates open letting in another horde of demons that had been in waiting. They slaughtered millions upon millions of souls. Hades, Satanael’s son, had managed to latch onto the shield-bearer, possessing his mind. Though they may never discover how that could happen, it was obvious Raphael must have played a part. 

They were all devastated, but the evidence was insurmountable, and despite their own personal feelings, they knew he would have to be brought before God for judgement. With so many souls lost, they no longer had enough strength to complete the prophecies. Raphael may have succeeded in saving the earth from his own mistakes, but the state he had left it and heaven in, was brutally horrifying, and to watch him murder his own lover in front of his son. It was too much to bear for any of them.

“Uriel, now is not the time to mourn. I need your focus so we can try to save our brother and fix this mess.” Uriel ripped his gaze from the earth below nodded solemnly.

Michael struggled to contain the incredible power that pulsated from Raphael, yet he felt his brother content to remain trapped inside his own grip. His frail body seemed as if it should break at any moment, and yet Raphael seemed more powerful than ever.

He had been amazed to witness what Raphael had done. To gather all the Demon Kings, and Elders in the shadow plane, and then create a seal strong enough to keep them all trapped. It was something he would have never believed possible, but as they watched through the Arc as helpless witnesses, unable to open the gates to Heaven, they were forced to watch as their brother released the last seal of his soul to accomplish such a task. Opening himself, unguarded to a world filled the vilest creatures to ever exist surrounding him, attacking him as their combined souls were unleashed in hatred and vengeance. They watched helplessly, their hearts crying out as his Son came to his Father’s rescue, ignoring his weakened attempts to remain in that hell and face his final death. They watched as he spent his last moments of clarity racing to earth to return his son to his friends, and finally, as the shadow plane proved truly sealed, they raced to save what was left of their brother, and bring him in front of Father, before it was too late.

And it seemed now, that they were already too late. “Please Uriel,’ Michael asked, ‘heal him, I don’t want to destroy one whom I have loved for all eternity.”