Chapter 4

The world had gone mad. Ben and Andrew had left the apartment through a maintenance shaft in the hotel elevator. After some co-ordinating, they met with two of Andrews more shadowy acquaintances and were smuggled out in two large travel suitcases. It was an experience Ben would rather forget, adding it to the growing list of uncomfortable memories. Ben heard the case being unzipped slowly, it seemed like he waited an eternity before spilling out onto the van’s cold floor.

“Welcome to freedom my friend.” Andrew greeted him with a mischievous grin that matched his sparkling green eyes.

“You enjoyed that way too much.” Ben muttered, Andrews growing smile confirmed his assumption. For some reason, that annoyed Ben even more. It took him a moment to get his bearings before making his way to the seat just behind the driver. The hulking man they had met earlier was now driving the van. His Large, rounded belly spilled out as he sat in the seemingly small chair. His long unkempt brown beard and the celtic cross being consumed by flamed skulls tattooed on his left arm alluded to a shady past. The smaller man that had done all the talking before seemed busy glaring out at everything they drove past, still doing all the talking.

“Watch them. Don’t slow down here. Go around this block. Hurry up, past those guys.” The man was like a real life navigation system. Ben discovered the importance of the man’s job as he looked out the window. Men roamed the streets in groups trashing and looting shops and houses. They passed flipped cars, now resting on crumpled roofs, unable to support their own weight. Smoke billowed from buildings on nearly every block. He saw people cowering under the same flipped cars, others sat on steps outside buildings or in the gutter, head in hands, gaze’s dumbed with shock and disbelief. They passed gangs of men focussed on rampaging through buildings and terrorising anyone stranded on their own.

“What in the world happened?” Ben asked as they drove past another car wreck in the middle of the road.

“You really need an explanation?” Andrew asked. No, he supposed not. Deep down this didn’t surprise him, he knew all too well the weakness of the human spirit, but to turn to this madness in only three days. Was the government doing anything?

“So where are we headed?” He asked.

“I’ve got information that there is a h7 safe house just outside of the city, if we can make it there we might be able to get in touch with Jason.”

“Let’s hope they don’t shoot first and ask questions later.” Andrew nodded slowly, not willing to reveal his own concerns it seemed.

They continued the drive without any real incident. Ben was pleased to see things became more normal further into the suburbs and away from the city. There was still hope that some semblance of normalcy could be kept,  at least for now. He knew it wouldn’t be long before Elijah learned of their escape, he would have another give the speech, maybe even himself. The world’s anger that was now randomly tearing itself apart would then have a target, the church. There was nothing they could do about it, if what he had written was truly prophecy then it would unfold as was foretold. Ben wasn’t worried about that, he was more concerned about what he hadn’t written.

 After their two hours of driving they turned up a shambled dirt road towards what looked to be an old stone built farmhouse. The two storied home towered over them as they arrived at its front. No cars or occupants to be seen they hopped out to stretch their legs.

The beautiful house must have been hundreds of years old. The thick, overgrown garden climbed all over it as if the garden itself were trying to hide the house under its growth. As he walked to the right side of the building, Ben saw a clear dirt path which seemed to lead towards the two large barns about five hundred meters  behind the house.