Chapter 26

As Rakael turned his gaze to the distant surrounds that painted his Arch’s lands, he knew Raphael and the other Arch’s would return shortly. The thunderous declaration from the Son of God was confirmation enough of the next seal’s breaking. Soon, the seven trumpets would unleash plague upon plague on the world unlike anything the land had ever experienced before. A flash of the strange man he had met with unnervingly bright green eyes appeared in his mind’s eye. A horrible fate would await him, and indeed the prophet also.

He had hoped to have good news for his Arch when he returned. Unfortunately, that was not going to be the case. They had over three hundred thousand angels scouring the city of souls however they had yet to find one single clue as to the whereabouts of the demons. They had been instructed to check for evidence of the destruction of any souls, a painstakingly thorough exercise that had still yet to avail any insights. It was fast becoming clear to Rakael that it was a strong possibility that the demons they were searching had never even entered the city.

Rakael remained watching over the city just outside its pearl-like walls, waiting patiently for messengers to bring him some good news. Shortly after, he spotted a short, fair haired angel from Gabriel’s choir shimmer before him, unsettlingly close.

 “Good news?” He asked. The angel shook his head with the same grace that all of Gabriel’s followers seemed to have.

“We have yet to find a hint of the demons. The souls have all been successfully moved to the safe zones within the city. They’ve all been accounted for.” The angel replied. Rakael nodded before the angel shimmered away again, probably to advise his Fuga Rakael guessed.

It was not the first time today that Rakael prayed for his Arch’s patience. He had seen his Arch face many challenges that seemed not to go his way, and every time, he had remained calm and smiled at any frustrating update of information with an unnatural confidence. Rakael didn’t share his Arch’s steadfast confidence and patience. His mind had already began wandering about where else the demons could have gone instead of the obvious target of the city of souls.

He cast a lingering glance up at Hale’iel, the castle surely would have been the next threat, but Fuga Geladriel was guarding the entrance, along with a song of Raphael’s most competent warriors and a song of Uriel’s angels too, not to mention the ridiculous traps that Raphael had placed throughout the palace.

He looked towards the east of the lands and imagined what lay in the distance. If the demons could slip through the towering barriers that separated the main kingdoms of the four Arch’s, they could head to Gabriel’s lands where the Powers and Dominions lived. Surely they wouldn’t be so stupid as to attack Michael’s barracks, it would effectively be committing suicide. Finally, there was Zion and the Garden of Life behind the golden city, but the Gates of Tellaniad which were the only entrance to the lands of Zion were impenetrable, and unlike Raphael’s gates, they could be closed in an instant.

“Have we found them yet?” The intense pressure that suddenly surrounded his every fibre could only have come from his Arch. Turning he saw him, his short, dark brown hair and deep glowing orange eye’s pierced through his very soul, and Rakael wondered if he had already unwittingly told him the answer.

“No Arch,” he replied as he glanced over at Uriel who had also arrived. Standing beside his brother Uriel was over two hand lengths taller than his Arch, and even from this distance Rakael could see the air simmering around the enormous Archangel, small licking flames erupting before his mouth as his breath rose and fell.

“How much have we searched?” Raphael asked. Without another pause Rakael informed the two Arch’s of the situation. It was even more disturbing to Rakael that they both looked as confused as he felt. Especially Raphael, it was not like him to be uncertain and in this case, perhaps even wrong.