Chapter 28

“Ben!” Abigail shouted again as if he hadn’t heard her first call. Her padded footfalls announcing her approach from behind as he knelt before the cross above the fireplace. The group had returned to Andrew’s house after Ben’s liturgy over two weeks ago. He had tried to instil in them the belief and faith he had been renewed with. He knew the answers he had been blindly seeking for all this time would be found only through prayer.

Everyone had tried to remain positive around him however Ben could do nothing to slow their descent into hopelessness. The fires in their eyes were slowly suffocating under the constant fear of death without redemption. It was a horrible way to live. Having a sword dangling over their heads, hanging by a single thread of string that could break at any moment was tearing down their will.

“Ben!” Abigail yelled exasperatedly.

“What is it?” He replied as he stopped his prayers and twisted back to look at her. He noticed the sorrow in her eyes as she watched him and he wondered if her heart had been torn so deeply from learning she had never had a relationship with Jesus that it could never be repaired. Or rather, she didn’t want it repaired.

“I’m going,” she declared, a stubborn determination filling her voice.

“Going where? It’s too dangerous outside now, there are only monsters outside, and they’re just the people.” Ben replied.

Shaking her head, she continued on, “I’m going back to the H7 Bunker. I had Andrew visit, he said Marcus and some others are still there.” Andrew was warping around the world again? Ben had warned him against doing it too often. They had no idea what the repercussions would be or even if the place he wanted to go to still existed, or were safe to enter.

“There is nothing for you there,” he suggested.

“There is nothing for me here Ben,” she replied with a sigh, and Ben cringed at the pain in her voice.

“I’ll take the two girls with me, they will be safer there. You keep looking for this child king of yours.” Ben mulled it over in his mind, trying to ignore the pain in his chest, the pain of losing yet another friend. Separation, it had become something all too difficult to deal with. Despite this, he knew that Abigail was right. The girls would be safer distancing themselves from him for now. He would only attract more trouble from here on in, and he wasn’t sure if he could protect anyone, not them, not Andrew and not himself.  

“You look after them Abigail. Protect them with your life.” It was all he could think of to say.

“I will Ben.” She said with steely resolve.

“And make sure to look after Sarah. She’s strong on the outside, but she’ll need all the help she can get, even if she won’t admit it.” Abigail nodded, tears welling in her eyes.

“You’re a good man Ben,” she answered, fighting back tears. Ben got up and moved to her, holding her at arm’s length as he looked into her eyes. Making the sign of the cross over her forehead and heart he prayed a silent prayer to the Lord God.

“Don’t give up on the Lord God, he is always there for you Abi,” he offered.

“It’s too late for that now wouldn’t you say?” She replied dejectedly.

“It’s never too late,” he countered.

“What’s not too late?” Andrew asked as he walked through the door to the living room.

“Life,” Ben replied.

“I disagree. We’re all screwed,” he said with a grin. Ben couldn’t tell if he were serious or joking. Abigail chuckled, unable to hold onto the despair she had clung to moments before, and suddenly, Ben didn’t care if he were serious. It had brought a smile to a wonderful person who deserved to find reasons to smile.