Chapter 40

Raphael looked over the small troupe of humans before him. He had finished transporting them all to the only place left on earth he knew would be safe. He took a moment to appreciate the miracles his Father could perform. Despite all the catastrophes, and the slaughter of billions of people; despite all the prophecies that had been broken. Here stood free and loving people committed to following the word of the Father. They gave each other strength and hope, and they were all determined to protect an unborn child, irrelevant of whether it was the future King of the new world or not. He knew this was Father’s will. Father always talked about backup plans and alternate routes to the same conclusion. Raphael still couldn’t imagine how Father could manipulate things so artfully, but the truth of that fact was standing all around him.  

He watched his son’s intrigue quickly get the better of him as he walked along the vast cavernous walls, closely inspecting the ancient engravings that covered them. He followed the etchings until he came to a large set of stairs carved into the ground. He was about to ask something, but Raphael quickly distracted him as he lit the surrounding torches all around them. These torches drove back the darkness, and allowed him to once again lock the seals of his soul and cease the constant waves of light he had been maintaining.

“Now that’s amazing, we actually have light!” Sarah exclaimed as everyone blinked against the sudden brightness.

“The darkness will not approach here, neither will any Demons,” Raphael offered.

“Why not?” The woman they called Abigail asked.

“Far down those stairs lays the resting place of the Arc of the Covenant. It still holds the blessings of my Father, and so will be protected from any who would interfere.” Raphael’s answer left the group slack-jawed.

“Can I see it?” Andrew asked as he began walking down the stairs.

“Stop,’ Raphael commanded, and was surprised when his son actually listened. ‘There is a reason the Arc has never been rediscovered. I don’t believe Father will let anyone set eyes upon it again until the new world has arrived. Too many have already died trying to find it. Fighting and dying over fakes and rumours. I will not risk your lives for your curiosity.” Raphael wasn’t sure if the humans would listen, but he prayed they would not test his theory. He knew there was a reason the Arc was protected, he did not want to test his Father on this for no real reason.

“So we’re safe here, as long as we don’t see the arc? Sounds like the Adam and Eve story all over again.” Marcus mentioned as he slowly sank to the floor, resting his back against the far wall of the cave.

“Let us hope you have all learned from their errors,” Raphael added sternly.

“So what do we do? Just sit here and wait for the end of the world?” Sarah complained.

“Yes, you should all wait here until I return to let you know it is safe to come out.” His reply didn’t seem to ease anyone’s tension.

“And what if you don’t return?” Andrew asked.

“Andrew!” Le’theril chastised.

“What? It’s a valid question. We can’t be sure of what will happen.”

“He’s right my love.” Raphael added as he noticed her anger rising.

“If I don’t return -.”

“But you will!” Le’theril interrupted.

“Of course my love, but if I don’t, you are to stay here until the child is old enough to travel. Then you may leave into the world once more.”

“We’ll starve before that happens,” Marcus spluttered.

“Do not fear. There is a reason you have all survived thus far. My Father shall provide you all you need, have faith in your God.” Raphael was certain of it, surely he would not let the future King die after ensuring it’s safety all this time.