Faded

There were many emotions that flashed through his eyes once the words were said. Hurt. Betrayal. Disbelief. Hurt. Rage. Hurt. Not even the usual stubborn, guarded shield over his expression hid it, shattered away like shards of broken glass to leave behind something wounded. Only tears glazed over his eyes, giving his best attempts to leave them unshed, but as one left a crystal trail down his cheek, Will knew he had stepped too far over the line.

"Now I get why your sister left you as soon as she got the chance."

Will had regretted those words as soon as he let them slip past his lips. He didn't actually mean them. Never. It just came out in the heat of the moment, something dark and unbeknownst coming over him, which sent everything he's ever cared about to come crashing down before him.

The heartfelt apology was on the tip of his tongue, unable to watch the strange mess of conflicting emotion through Nico's glistening eyes any longer. But then something shifted in them, an incandescent scowl twisting into a face that used reserve the rarest of smiles just for Will, looking back at the blond with something made of spite.

Hate.

When Nico didn't say a word, yell anything back like Will deserved to suffer through, he just remained silent. Dead silent. Lips pressed in a firm line. Back straightened as if Will had been regarded as a threat other than the only person he'd completely let his guard down for. It was painful to watch play out before him, but it was more painful to watch Nico dart out into the closest shadow given to him.

Will didn't think. He chased him because if Nico was going to infuriating ignorant towards his own health Will wasn't just going to let it happened. He loved him. He loved him, dammit. Will wasn't going to just let the person he loved slip away into the darkness, melt into the abyss, evaporate into nothingness, only to exist in his memories.

He grabbed his arm in a vice like grip, unaware of how tightly coiled his hand was around Nico's bicep until he felt himself shaking.

"Don't." Will had growled demandingly, the apology faded and forgotten from his lips.

Nico showed no sign of the anguish he had evidently painted over his face previously, his eyes only narrowed in the way he had saved for the ones he despised the most — and Will, who'd assumed himself as unstirred when it came the boy's death glares, found himself, for the first time, cracking under the receiving end.

The son of Hades attempted to tug his arm out of Will's hold, but the blond only held on tighter. He wasn't going to let Nico go. He can't.

"Let go, Solace," he snarled with a voice so laced with venom it made Will wince, nonetheless, he didn't avail. Not when he could already feel his grip sinking through his slightly faded flesh, no matter how much wrath was radiating off him, withering the crisp grass he stood on.

Nico, please, I'm sorry. I'm so fucking sorry I said that and I love you. Please, don't leave.

"Don't be an idiot," Will found himself saying instead, twisted with ill temper, "You and I both know what happens if you shadow travel now."

There was a shimmer of hope when something humane sparked in his eyes, yet it was only a split second until it hardened once more. Bitter and stubborn, plaguing the lulling darkness in his irises. They shone with an unmissable slither of detached remorse, as if saying—

Nico sunk into the abyss. Dark tendrils taking away his heart's content. Will's trembling hand clenched into a fist once the arm he formerly gripped faded into dark smoke. Nothing but a pitiful draft left as what remained of him forever.

Goodbye.

AN:
Gotta love that fluff